DVD Player won't automatically open

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iStress, Jan 6, 2009.

1. iStress macrumors member

Hey guys, I just got my Mac about 3 weeks ago. The first time I inserted a dvd, the DVD Player opened and played the disc. However after the first week of using the mac, whenever I insert a DVD it will only appear as a DVD Icon on the desktop - nothing else would happen.

I have enabled "Open DVD Player" once a DVD is inserted option in Sys Prefs, I've also enabled "When a disc is inserted, start playing disc" option in the DVD Player Pref. But nothing happens when I insert a DVD.

The only way I can start the DVD is to open DVD Player manually.

EDIT: GOT IT WORKING!

PS. To save another post, does anyone know how I can enable Mail to check for new mails automatically? I have enabled Mail to open at start up (and to hide), but everytime I start up the Mail window opens. I want the Mail app to open at start up, but to not open a window.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Strange. I know this might be obvious, but have you restarted your computer? A lot of people forget because MacBooks are just so easy to sleep.

If that doesn't work, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility.

3. iStress thread starter macrumors member

Okay I got it to work :D What I did was go to Sys Prefs, and then select "ignore" when DVD in inserted, after that I closed Sys Prefs and opened it again, this time selecting "Open DVD Player". I gave it a restart and it worked :D - never knew Macs needed restarts for changes to take effect!

Thanks SpaceMan!!