DVD Players

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FadeToBlack, Oct 28, 2007.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Right now, I have a Samsung DVD-RW/VCR combo. It's actually my Mom's. I gave it to her last Christmas, so that we could convert all of our home movies to DVD's. (which we still haven't got around to doing)

The problem with it is it's compatibility with certain discs. Some of the DVD's I've burned won't play on it and I recently bought the Degrassi Season 2 DVD collection. (love the show..buying 'em all in order) and certain episodes skip and then get a disc read error. Both the burned discs and the Degrassi discs play perfectly on our other DVD player that's in our guest room.

What I'm gonna do is buy a new DVD player for the living room and just put the DVD-RW up 'til we decide to make those DVD's. i need to get a DVD Player with good compatibility. I used to have an Apex a while back that would play just about anything you threw at it. I'd like something like that. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

DVD Players seem overpriced, i paid £120 ($247 ish) about 5 years ago, had all the bells and whistles and lasted about 18 months, didn't like playing DVDs i Burned, was a total waste of money, so when it gave up the ghost (watching goodfellas i had to use a hammer to open the tray :eek: ) i jumped in the car, drove to the nearest electrical superstore, spent £29.99 (about $61) just a simple job, Matsui, plays photo cd's , mp3 cd's and DVDs i burn, had it since the old one died and still going strong with my 3 year old daughter using it almost daily for toystory (i know it inside out), great value for money. Never go for the Big Brand names.........they will only let you down ;)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We bought some X-Wave DVD player in 2000. Bought it because it was region free, cost us an arm and a leg (about £500 IIRC) but had amazing features for the day.
    It still works and works well. Much better than using our Philips DVD-RW machine, or any games console.

4. Kalmia macrumors member

Honestly, I just use our Playstation 2 for playing DVDs... it's pretty cheap to pick one up, it does what I need it to do, and it has the obvious benefit of playing games, too. But failing that, you can pick up a small no-frills DVD player like Mr.Noisy mentioned for less than $100 these days. Check Overstock.com--they have a bunch, some even less than fifty bucks, and shipping ranges from cheap to free. They also have some DVD recorders that sound like your model, if you want to try your luck with a different manufacturer.

~Kalmia

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I'll probably just end up picking up a cheap one from Wal Mart. I live in a very small town and that's really one of the only places to get one around here, except maybe for Radio Shack. I don't wanna buy online, because of the hassle of returns, etc.

Thank for the suggestions, though. I'll just look at Wal Mart when I go and try to find one for cheap. I'd just like to be able to watch my Degrassi! :cool:

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I have a $29.99 DVD player from Wal-Mart, it does the job (it loads DVD's like the portable DVD Players - Sweet.) This one.

However, for our family, we have this one. Not much better but my parents thought the $2 price difference would help. :rolleyes:

7. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

8. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Just wanted to update. I ended up buying a Sony for around $62 and so far, it's played everything I've tried. Very cool. It's also a lot sleeker looking than the Samsung was.

9. mosx macrumors 65816

I know you already bought your DVD player.

But I just wanted to say that if you have an HDTV, an upscaling DVD player is the only way to go. Decent ones by Pioneer can be had for under $90 at Wal-Mart.

It'll blow away a progressive scan player. Completely worth the money and will definitely justify not buying into the HD format war ;)

10. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I don't have an HDTV yet. This DVD player was purchased for our living room (still live with parents) and we just have a 32" SDTV in there. Thanks for the info, though. I seen those upscaling DVD players while I was there, but I honestly bought the Sony for it's aesthetics. :eek:

It works great, though. I love it.