DVD printer???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AeroBar, Feb 2, 2010.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've been trawling the internet looking for inexpensive CD/DVD printers - with no luck.

I'm looking a machine that only prints on CD/DVD. It must be knew and less than 500 (in any currency).

Can anybody point the way?

Cheers.

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

I've been printing DVDs here for several years.

If you want a new, inexpensive dedicated CD/DVD printer there's the Dymo DiscPainter..
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0276983

http://sites.dymo.com/Solutions/Pag...DPrinters(DYMO_US1)&prod=1738260(DYMO)&page=1

From researching this thing, I learned that it might not have the best print quality.

Personally, I've used Epson, HP and Canon CD-capable inkjet printers for printing on DVDs for years.

Epson (such as the current Artisan 50) has great software, great print quality, low speed, low reliability and high ink costs (unless you get a Continuous Ink System)

HP (Photosmart AIO) had really horrible software, poor print quality, medium to fast speed and medium ink cost with high reliability.

Canon has good software, good print quality, fast speed and medium to low ink cost with high reliability.

It's important that if you intend to sell or distribute these DVDs that they be highly compatible and waterproof. Most Inkjet-printable CDs and DVD's are not waterproof. Some are waterproof and are often called "Aquaguard" "Watershield" or "AquaAce"

I've had good luck with the Imation and Verbatim DVD-Rs on this page:

http://www.gotmedia.com/waterproof-dvd-media.html

Taiyo Yuden is also a well-repected brand.

Have Fun,
    Keri

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you mean that blank DVDs need to be waterproof if I'm using a dedicated DVVD printer?

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

depends on run quantity I would imagine as well as the the waterproofing.

i use 3 Epson inkjets - Artison 50s, altough i'm sure they might have a later model. The automatic DVD burners/printers are pretty sweet, but also much more expensive, hence the question of run quantity.

About $100, fairly good on ink (mind you, my printables are black only and not heavily designed).

My thought on the waterproofing is that clients shouldn't be getting anything wet near any DVD in the first place. WP'g can stop smudges, but again, if clients are holding DVDs correctly, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Epson and HPs are the only ones you can buy in the USA.

Canons can be hacked.

Currently I use an Epson 1800, but before that I used several different models. I had a pair of R220s that ran over 1,000 discs for one project. That was over 5 years ago. Ran like a champ.

Sounds like Keri is a Canon fan, which I like as well for the printing. But I just never did the Canon hack for CD printing.

If you want the most durable finish, go with the Water Shield versions.

http://www.supermediastore.com/prod...ble-100pk-in-cake-box-spindle?max=15&offset=0

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Only if the dedicated printer is Inkjet based, as the Dymo unit is.

The thermal type printers (NOT "Thermal Inkjet") don't use water-based inkjet ink, but I believe they need their own type of disk for printing on.

If you're responsible for making a large run of DVDs you might want to look into disk replication services.

For a small run, Epson is hard to beat for print quality. My experience with Epson has been that it's expensive for large runs and the printer will fail eventually.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS. My Stylus 220 went through several hundred (800-1000?) discs before it got really bad with jamming up and spattering on discs. The Stylus 260 I replaced it with didn't last as long and consumed huge quantities of ink in the process.

I tried an HP Photosmart AIO that printed on discs... It used far less ink but gave mediocre results, especially with blacks. It was mechanically sound and reasonably fast with no jams or spattering. Really bad software too.
    Then I got another Epson, a Stylus 280 (same appearance as the Artisan 50). It seemed a bit better on ink than the 260 but tended to clog a lot. It failed after only a hundred or so disks - Same failure as the 260, lots of jamming.

Most recently, I got a Canon ip4500 with the "non-USA" firmware and a CD tray. It seems very sound so far and is the fastest of the bunch. I happened across an ip3000 for a backup that seems fine also.