DVD problem with " region code

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

A friend just lent me a legaly bought DVD... but when I put it into my ordi
    I get the "Region code of the disc does not corrispond with that of the player.".....I've never had this happen with other DVD's.
    Also it says that I can change the Region code but only have the right to change it twice ??? does changing back to the orginal count ?
    If I change the code will it prevent me from reading all my " normal" DVD's ?
    Seems a pity to screw up a perfectly good system for I. damn DVD.
    If somebody could enlighten me.
    thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can change it 5 times. And yes. Changing it back counts.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes it does.

Most of them, yes.

You can thank the MPAA for that.

4. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guy's.... I don't want to watch that damn DVD anyway...screw them

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Do you have a stand alone DVD player? If so Google the make and model number plus "region code." Most brands will allow you to enter a specific code which will make them region free and can play any type of DVD, but if it's a Japanese-made player (Sony, Panasonic, etc) don't bother (they don't allow you to make them region free).

6. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

You may get lucky if you download vlc player - which I recommend as having anyway as a good alternate video player.

Before you put the dvd in again, install vlc and then open up the main system preferences.

Click on the cd & dvds icon and cHANge the Default program for video dvd as vlc. all this does is stop the dvd player software automatically firing up BefoRe and noting that the dvd is not the correct Region.

AnywAys, chucK in the dvd and whEn the vlc progam opens up, click on the play button and then highlight disc and then open.

With some luck you may get vlc to run the disc - it works quite a lot for me whenever I put a korean / chinese dvd in, but i think for a lot of asian stuff the region code is sometimes only loosely implemented.

If its a uk disc on a ud machine - or vice versa you may not have much luck though.

If that doesn't work, but you really, really, really, have to watch it on your mac you could always use a piece of SOFTWARE to rip it first.

As you have already stopped the dvd player from kicking in when you put the disc in you should be able to utilise the software without there being any block.

The problem is that it is not legal to rip dvds, even if you are backing ones that you already own up (despite that it is legal to do this with cds ... well technically this is still illegal in countries like the uk at the moment and Apple are technically an accessory to thousands of infringements via the CD stripping software in iTunes).

7. ssnoopy27 macrumors newbie

i made 5 times

:eek: i did some how change it 5 times. What should i do now?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Clever. Handbrake is perfectly acceptable to talk about here on MR, though, so while it was amusing, we can also just tell the OP directly.

OP, assuming you're in the US, it is indeed legal to rip DVD's to your computer, as long as you're not intending to go distribute those copies to all of your friends. Look into Handbrake for doing that, it won't really care what region the disk is as far as I know.

jW