dvd problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsela, Aug 15, 2010.

1. arsela macrumors newbie

Hi!
    i have some problems with watching dvd. When i insert a dvd it says not supported disc. I copy the movies on my pc and when i open them again it says : The document “Awake.flv.flv” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands.You may need to install additional software to open this type of file. i have other programs such as DVD player but it still doesn't open. please help me. i'm new at this and i don't know much :(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It obviously isn't a video DVD (the one you buy at a store with a movie on it and you put that DVD into one of those DVD players under the telly), but a data DVD, which contains files that end with .flv, which is short for FLash Video, meaning it was probably downloaded from YouTube or a similar video hosting side.

Install Perian to be able to play those .flv files back in QuickTime Player or use the VLC Player to play them back in VLC.

Thus the problem does not reside with the DVD, but with the format of the files on that DVD.

Btw, is this your first Mac?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. arsela thread starter macrumors newbie

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No need to be embarrassed :)o), everyone starts somewhere. Ask me a question about airplanes and I don't know what the answer could be.

Did my answer help?

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

5. arsela thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it helped me a lot. your links are very helpful too cause i know nothing about mac. i'll take a look at them. thanks again. bye :)