Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reginayeo96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I tried to burn something on my DVD+R DL, but there was an error and it said "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly. Unable to recover or retry." I tried to erase the disk, but Disk Utility says that there are "No devices available for erasing." Before, disk didn't come up as anything, but now it is "disk2s3" and it is unreadable by the computer, but still shows up. It's making me confused, because on top of that, SimplyBurns also says that the disk usage is 7.24GB of 7.23GB. Please help me! :(

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I tried to burn something on my DVD+R DL, but there was an error and it said "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly. Unable to recover or retry." I tried to erase the disk, but Disk Utility says that there are "No devices available for erasing." Before, disk didn't come up as anything, but now it is "disk2s3" and it is unreadable by the computer, but still shows up. It's making me confused, because on top of that, SimplyBurns also says that the disk usage is 7.24GB of 7.23GB. Please help me! :(

im assuming your tried more than 1 disk?

reginayeo96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I tried one and it seemed weird, so I now have two disks that are basically useless TT.TT

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
no prob...whatever program you are using before you start the burn, look under preferences for the burn speed.

it is there some where. back it off to just say 2x or 4x to see if you can complete a full burn.

a lot of applications come with maximum set as the default and your writer cant keep up with that.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I had the same issue almost exclusively with dual layer DVD's... I made a thread about it I'll link you to it in a second. One thing I noticed though is it would fail to "verify" the disc 50% in but it could still read it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1224961/ Read that thread I made some good advice and input. Also yeah backing off the burn speed can help...

reginayeo96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Actually, I think the main thing I want to do right now is just to revert the discs so I can use them again. Then, I'll try the speed thing. BTW I found it :D

reginayeo96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Well I'm in India where it's almost impossible to get anything so we got them online. Sigh.

reginayeo96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Well, I already have the 10 we ordered. I just want to know how I can get the two I killed back. I would appreciate any help because I can't find anything on google.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Well, I already have the 10 we ordered. I just want to know how I can get the two I killed back. I would appreciate any help because I can't find anything on google.

my friend you cant get them back, that the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RW, RW's you can earse, R's once the burn process starts if it messes up the disk is ruined

reginayeo96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Nooooooooo!!!!!!! :( Oh well. Hey any tips for the mile run? I REALLY suck at running and it's coming up like next week.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
how soon did you get the error?

I d be willing to bet you can put that disk right back in now and start burning on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.