DVD -R or DVD +R for backing up data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluetooth, Nov 18, 2007.

1. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

I would like to purchase a few DVD's (4.7GB) to back up data on my HD. I see there is DVD -R and DVD +R, what is the difference? Which should I choose for backing up data?

My drive is compatible with both, so does it matter which one I use?

My drive specs: DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10041628&catid=#

OR

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10041984&catid=

thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Basically no, it doesn't matter. -R is theoretically a little more compatible with set-top DVD players, and in the past Apple had much better support for -R than +R, but practically at this point I don't think it matters at all.

I tend to buy -R, but the price is usually the same so I just go with what I've been using.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

get some double layer (DL) discs as it says your burner is capable. it's like having 2 discs in one so you won't need as many. but they do cost a little more.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

5. eetu macrumors member

Lately I prefer to buy an external hard disk for backing up data. I download lots of live shows in flac format and I find more advantages in storing the data in hard disks. Faster and easier to play.

6. bluetooth thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

Thanks all for the info...can I ask what external HD you use? I have heard horror stories from a lot people with these crashing etc.

I will look into the DL discs as well.