DVD-R problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

my mac keeps ejecting blank dvds. it plays pre-recorded and burned cds, and pre-recorded dvds (no burnded dvds 2 test). it wont even mount them. it jus spins then ejects it after a few moments.

according to system profiler i have pioneer dvd-rw dvr-103. my firmware is 1.49 . i believe it was shipped this way (superdrive) because it says under "burn support" it says "yes (apple shipped/supported)"

is anyone familiar w/this problem and/or have a solution?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

That's an old writer http://www.dvdwriters.co.uk/reviews/pioneer/dvr103p1.htm and probably cannot cope with modern disk media. I had to change my Pioneer 105 to a 112D to accommodate modern dvd disks. The latest Pioneer is the 116D or 216D (amongst others) so I'd suggest an updated optical drive.

4. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

dvd+r burnable discs. ive tried maxell and memorex. no luck w/either. ive looked into firmware but i'm not sure if its a solution or where 2 get it.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That is an old machine and for a long time Apple did not recognize dvd+r as a valid format and just spat them out....

Could you borrow some dvd-r's and see if that helps (but I would avoid Memorex unless it is only to check that they work..)