DVD-R Recorder and DVD's?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sansa11, Oct 31, 2008.

1. sansa11 macrumors member

I have a Samsung DVD Recorder Model Number: RDR-GX355. I wanted to know if a standard DVD, (4.7GB and 120 min. of recording time), can record for longer time periods using the long play mode. I'm not even sure my recorder has this. Adding to that, I wanted to know if using the long play mode on anything will affect the end quality of the movie/image/show.

Or if my recorder can't record in long play mode, should I invest in the DVD-R DL which gives my 8GB and 240 min. of recording time. I know they are much more expensive than regular DVD's costing usually $15 for ten only.

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Well yes it can. It just matters how much compression you want in a dvd. Depending on the program, you should be able to adjust the compression amount and fit more onto the dvd.

3. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

and should this be supported by my dvd recorder? and if so, how much should I compress the amount onto the dvd?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hi-

While a lot of us can tell you about some of the compatibilities/capabilities of DVD writers that are installed in computers, I don't really know how much support help you will find for your unit since I just looked it up and saw that it was a standalone DVD recorder that really has nothing to do with computers. I think most people seeing the post would think that it was a DVD burner in a computer.

I just wanted to suggest that you pay particular attention to your product manual (and if you don't have it, I'm sure you can find a downloadable copy on Samsung's website in the product support section) for specifications and what types of disks the unit can use and what kind of "extended" recording time it might be capable of.

If you are unable to find anything you will probably have more luck digging around some of the AVR forums since they deal with Audio/Video stuff. One of the good ones is at http://www.avsforum.com/ which I have looked at quite a while in the past.

Hope you find some information. :)