Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Here's the Panther ASP info from my 17" PowerBook 1.33Ghz:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816:

Manufacturer: MATSHITA
Model: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816
Revision: DXJ3
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Most superdrives have been the pioneer models (101-106), but iirc I read on macintouch 6 months or so ago that some of the newer iMacs and then G5 were coming with a sony drive (u10a or something). The Sony and pioneer 106 offered the +r/+rw compatibility.

This site has good info on the differences in formats as well as database of -r/-rw/+r/+rw drives:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd.htm

And xlr8yourmac has a drive compatibility database from reader reports. iDVD only burns to internal drives, so this can be great info for those wishing to upgrade by adding their own superdrive (for instance, support for the pioneer 106 was apparently added in 10.2.8):
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Re: Re: +r/+rw

Yes - DVD-r/rw offers better compatibility with DVD-players

But, as far as I know...DVD+r/rw offers the possibility to burn sessions...which is a great advantage! My superdrive - in my Dual G5 - is a Pioneer 106 which is a - & r-dvd...but I haven't tried dvd'r yet.

Originally posted by Stike
Nope, in fact, the opposite is true. DVD-R plays on more generic DVD players opposed to DVD+R.

That was the reason why Apple had chosen -R :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, +R has some quality improvements to the format, which are not backwards compatible, hence Apple went with DVD-R to provide a maximum acceptance even on the oldest DVD players.

iHack

macrumors regular
Originally posted by soosy
Most superdrives have been the pioneer models (101-106), but iirc I read on macintouch 6 months or so ago that some of the newer iMacs and then G5 were coming with a sony drive (u10a or something). The Sony and pioneer 106 offered the +r/+rw compatibility.

This site has good info on the differences in formats as well as database of -r/-rw/+r/+rw drives:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd.htm

And xlr8yourmac has a drive compatibility database from reader reports. iDVD only burns to internal drives, so this can be great info for those wishing to upgrade by adding their own superdrive (for instance, support for the pioneer 106 was apparently added in 10.2.8):
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

I have a 1GHz 17"iMac, bought in April '03. According to the system profiler I have a sony DVD RW DW-U10A, which it reports as a CD-RW/DVD-R only. No -RW and no +R/RW. According to sony specifications it should be able to do all those. It's not just Jaguar, Toast titanium can't do the +R either. This bugs me, because I have heard of people who bought a retail version and could burn +R's with it using Toast under jaguar.
I hate to be cheated out of functionality of stuff I own. If Panther does support these formats, it's another reason to spend some € 160,- , but I think apple should have included this functionality from the start...

M.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by iHack
According to the system profiler I have a sony DVD RW DW-U10A, which it reports as a CD-RW/DVD-R only. No -RW and no +R/RW. According to sony specifications it should be able to do all those.

I can confirm this. I upgraded a Quicksilver with a U10A and all formats -/+R(W) work flawlessly (+R(W) only with Toast of course). But I only use -R(W) blanks normally, because they cost about the same and they are more compatible with generic DVD-Players. I don't feel like having a pile of both standards when there is no real benefit. I did some tests and it really seems to be true. And I also found the verbatims as the best choice for having reliable results (also on other burners). I tested some OEM/noname brands and I always had problems with them (coasters, read errors, writing speed, etc...).

groovebuster

iHack

macrumors regular
Originally posted by groovebuster
I can confirm this. I upgraded a Quicksilver with a U10A and all formats -/+R(W) work flawlessly (+R(W) only with Toast of course). But I only use -R(W) blanks normally, because they cost about the same and they are more compatible with generic DVD-Players. I don't feel like having a pile of both standards when there is no real benefit. I did some tests and it really seems to be true. And I also found the verbatims as the best choice for having reliable results (also on other burners). I tested some OEM/noname brands and I always had problems with them (coasters, read errors, writing speed, etc...).

groovebuster

In the Netherlands there is a levy on blank CD's and DVD's which is supposed to go towards all the copyright holders that who's copyright I violate when I make a back-up of my data (I don't have a large collection of kazaa'd MP3's or DivX's). :mad:
I believe it goes to the music industry mostly. The levy on DVD-R is about €1, while the levy on DVD+R is €0.50, IIRC.
The reason for the difference is that supposedly it is easier to pirate content with a -R disc. In the commission that decided on the levy, the major proponent for the difference in levies was Philips.
Philips is a proponent of the DVD+R standard, so there is no conflict of interest there :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't see any reason why Apple would disable +RW functionality in my hardware. If it's just to prevent me from being stupid enough to burn DVD+R's and complain to Apple about them not working in my DVD player, it's patronising to say the least.

M.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Blank DVD-R's bear the a DVD logo just like DVD movies you buy in the store.

DVD+R's do not have the DVD logo. DVD-R is definatly more compatible with older DVD players. Only DVD players that specifically say the support DVD+R's can play vidoe from DVD+Rs.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Does the PowerMac Dual 1 Ghz Mirrored Drive Doors include the Superdrive with +R capabilities?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by iEric
Does the PowerMac Dual 1 Ghz Mirrored Drive Doors include the Superdrive with +R capabilities?
If I recall correctly, the Combo Drive was the default drive for that machine. And the Super Drive was a 2x, so even if it was upgraded with a factory Super Drive, probably not on the +R ability.

G5trinity

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
DVD buner

Originally posted by MacsRgr8
On which hardware does it work then?
I know the Pioneer A06 supports + and - DVD R/RW... is this the drive built in the G5 as SuperDrive?

My dual 2 G5 has the Sony DVD RW DW-U10A and it supports all of the formats +R and -R. However in the profiler its says it only supports -R. So It think panther may just add software support for existing hardware.

<edit spelling>

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by iEric

No. i have an MDD generation powermac with Superdrive and i can tell you it is NOT a +R/RW drive.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
How do you find out the brand and model number for a drive through ASP? When I bring mine up (on a new 1GHz 12" PB) alll it says is CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

And BTW, -R is only better on OLD DVD players. Anything sold in the last year/year and a half is going to be able to play +R with very little problems. There are however drive compatibility between the two formats of -R (a and g). While +R will work in ALL forms of DVD-ROM drives, -R drives wont, usually causing problems between an a and a g drive. Id read up on dvdr-digest.com before making a solid discison. I myself am going with the +R/+RW in the form of an HP 200e that Im getting for 125.00 new from OfficeMax. Anyone else out there who is interested get to your local OfficeMax, if they dont have one in stock have them transfer one from a store that does. This is the 200e external drive, with both USA 2 and Firewire cap. Just a friendly headsup for those in the market.

hs2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2003
I have a Pioneer AO6U that is supported in 10.2.8 and in a developers version of 10.3...My machine is a 1.0Ghz sp mdd...

This drive is +/- and rw

Recognized by iDVD and DVD Studio pro

I use toast for burning rw and +

Another note:

The 1.8 G5 at CompUSA has a Sony +/- drive in it

Hope this helps!

:)

youngr40

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
UK
Hello All

Do we know what machines that has shipped will support the DVD+R standard under Panther?

Or will I have to wait until Panther before I know?

I have iMac G4 1Ghz with a Superdrive.

Regards
Roland

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
You are all unaware of one major problems in macs that this solves.

Most macs have been unable to play DVD+R burned video.

I have a large collection of them and have been pained that they could not be played on macs. I held off on buying a laptop until they fix this problem. So.... this is good news.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Some info

A couple of comments here that may clear up an issue or two...

First, Apple is being forced to support the plus format, as the major, top line DVD manufactures are slowly merging the two formats.
In the beginning, there was a major compatibility issue, since the minus camp was planning on the R format being the primary recording medium, and the plus camp was planning on ReWritable being their primary medium. The plus camp even went so far as to not require finalizing the medium so that PC backups could happen quicker. Well that, and added the capability to erase individual files off of a disc.

Long and short, the plus camp saw that RW discs were nowhere near as compatible as the R medium, and decided to add it to the spec ( anyone with an old HP/Phillips RW only drive out there? ). Meanwhile, the minus camp did have RW, but it was not as heavily promoted, and later added a VR mode that also does not require finalizing the disc, but greatly reduces compatibility.

Once all of this happened, the largest manufacturers of drives realized that there was very little difference between the formats, and realized that splitting the recordable format would mean death to all. After all, Sony had a real problem when they used Pioneer minus drives in the Vaio PCs, but only sold plus drives over the counter.

Now... There is at least one company selling a burner that will burn the third DVD format ( RAM ), as well as the plus and minus DVD formats. You will find LG drives also sold under IOMEGA. The RAM format is a true data centric format, and as such, will not play in any DVD video player, with maybe the exception of a few Panasonic decks. Apple first supported this format, even though it has really never been a success.

In short, none of this will be an issue in about two years. People will buy a DVD burner, and the right medium to fit their recording needs. The formats are merging.

As for Apple ( remember them ). I have seen several times on MacNN that there is a firmware patch out there that will allow Laptop superdrive owners enable the faster CD burn speeds and enable the RW capabilities of the Panasonic drive they use. Apparently, Apple disables this ability due to wanting to conform to certain specs for the laptop ( power, heat, etc. ). I would not be surprised if they have done the same to the Sony drives they use too.

Here is the link to enable RW on the laptop superdrives, but be warned that your warrantee will not cover any damage that this patch may cause.

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

I hope all of this helps.

Max

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I spoke with an A/V engineer at work this morning and he said that the industry is abandoning the minus format in favor of the plus. He said that as a result, we'll NEVER see minus go faster than 4X.

I'll believe it when I see it. Just relaying info I heard.

cheers,
john

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by Chisholm
I spoke with an A/V engineer at work this morning and he said that the industry is abandoning the minus format in favor of the plus. He said that as a result, we'll NEVER see minus go faster than 4X.

I'll believe it when I see it. Just relaying info I heard.

cheers,
john

He's just a plus bigot.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Originally posted by Abraxsis
How do you find out the brand and model number for a drive through ASP? When I bring mine up (on a new 1GHz 12" PB) alll it says is CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

There should be a little arrow by it that expands to tell more information like manufacturer and model.

And BTW, -R is only better on OLD DVD players. Anything sold in the last year/year and a half is going to be able to play +R with very little problems. There are however drive compatibility between the two formats of -R (a and g). While +R will work in ALL forms of DVD-ROM drives, -R drives wont, usually causing problems between an a and a g drive. Id read up on dvdr-digest.com before making a solid discison. I myself am going with the +R/+RW in the form of an HP 200e that Im getting for 125.00 new from OfficeMax. Anyone else out there who is interested get to your local OfficeMax, if they dont have one in stock have them transfer one from a store that does. This is the 200e external drive, with both USA 2 and Firewire cap. Just a friendly headsup for those in the market.

From what little I've read, there isn't really a problem with -R, a and g. All the low cost consumer -R drives out are g (general use). The a drives (authoring) are expensive and require more expensive media. Regardless, this site says once burned both are readable in either drive type.
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118

That said, it seems +R/RW may have some advantages... having both CAV and CLV writing which gives it an edge in storing computer data files, rather than just DVD video streams.

At any rate, if Panther can now read +R/RW discs in addition to -R/RW, it will be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.