Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Hey guys,

What software can you get that will burn DVD discs on a Mac, it would be great to be able to backup 4.7Gbs of stuff on to DVD.
I know Toast has support for DVD-RAM, but not DVD-R (as far as I know).
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I don't have a DVD burner, but according to the roxio website, you can write to DVD-R's as well.

From the apple web site i found this:

In the Mac OS 10.1.2 or later Finder:

1. Insert a blank DVD-R disc in the drive.

2. In the dialog box that appears, enter a name for the disc and choose the format you want to create. An icon for the DVD appears on the desktop.

3. Drag files and folders to the icon. The space available will not completely update until all items have been copied.

4. Choose Burn Disc from the File menu.

Basically, you don't really need any other software. It's incorporated into the OS.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
OS X is so great!

It just dawned on me...what a truly great system OS X is, built in support for burning both CD's znd DVD's, outstanding!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It just dawned on you that OS X is such a great system...and it only took you 14 months and 22 days to figure that out. Bravo. :D

But, I'll admit, there have been a few features in OS X that make things a little easier that I would not have found in OS 9.

Let me check, can I burn a DVD in OS 9 with a blank CD installed?

Nope! :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by King Cobra
It just dawned on you that OS X is such a great system...and it only took you 14 months and 22 days to figure that out. Bravo. :D
hehehehe, you know what I mean.
I suppose what I should have said that it is yet another reason for me to recognize how great the OS is :p

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Yeah, I knew what you meant. I just responded w/some tasteful humor.

And OS X just keeps getting better. Remember when B2TM posted about having "Jaguar" on his iBook 600 and said it soared? That obviously means we are going to have some significant speed increases for the final Jaguar.

And I am growing a bit impacient. My iBook 466 is starting to feel a little sluggish. But, then again, I'm only walking around with a 66MHz bus and 128MB RAM. Go figure! :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by King Cobra
My iBook 466 is starting to feel a little sluggish. But, then again, I'm only walking around with a 66MHz bus and 128MB RAM. Go figure! :)
OMG! Only 128Mb 66Mhz RAM, I can't imagine that with OSX, how is it?
Or are you only using OS9, in which case I wouldnt think it would be to bad.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Now I am going to tamper with your emotions.

First, the easy. No, I am using 128MB of RAM on my iBook straight up on OS X. I even got the Classic enviornment running with just that much of memory. Classic took around 2 minutes to startup. Overall, there have been no stability problems, but I have had a few playing Sigma Chess for some odd reason. :(

Now, a shocker. You may have seen this before.
I did have OS X running on my original iMac. That's right. I had OS X running on a 233MHz computer, with the 66MHz bus and ONLY 64MB OF RAM! :eek: OS X ran as slow as the living blue heck, but it did run perfectly stable (except I could not connect to the internet, and I could not get Classic to run w/o a memory error).

How slow? I had to wait about 10 or 12 seconds for System Preferences to start up and another 5 seconds per tab to click on. And the computer took around three minutes to start up!

Well, I am using OS 9 with the iMac right now and it loads a lot faster than OS X. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.