Dvd-r suddenly not playing in Macbook - **UPDATE Problem Fixed!!**

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stu3ufc, Jun 23, 2009.

1. stu3ufc macrumors member

So i have alot of DVD-R discs --movies i have made from IDVD and toast ...good files and burned on top quality discs

They played fine...no problems at all and all of a sudden the disc drive doesnt read them...it makes alot of stupid noises then spits it out again. Yet normal DVDS work

These DVD-r worked perfectly before and now its like a OS update has screwed it up

Blank DVD-r shows up
    any help guys

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

the latest one I have lepoard and its a superdive

maybe it isnt an update....maybe the disc drive has messed up and needs replacing

but it seems to have happened in the last 2 weeks...I never had any trouble before with any of my discs

Im not looking forward to sending my Macbook away to the repair shop for 1 month and paying for a new drive (my 1 year warrenty has expired 6months ago) will i be paying for a replacement?? :-((

4. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

5. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

6. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Do the disks work on another Mac with the same update?
    If they do then it's probably the superdrive.

8. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

I dont know if its an update! probably not but this problem just occurred over night

I can burn dvds and it recognises blank dvds yet disks which played perfectly well and play in my DVD player don't on my macbook anymore....

will probably take it to the mac store to get it fixed/replaced cos no one has a clue here

9. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

Great news!!! problem fixed it seems this is a big problem amonst other users too who have macbook superdrives

I just used a lens cleaner CD and DVD-r are now recognising like it used too !!!

its fixed the problem instantly!!!!!:D:apple: