Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have the a PowerMac G5 with a DVD-R Superdrive and I burned a DVD-RW data disk. How is this possible? I just bought 50 DVD+R and burn a data disk and it worked! I thought I only got a DVD-R drive. So I don't waste a DVD, can I burn Movie DVD's using my drive?

Brigrat

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2004
G5Unit said:
I have the a PowerMac G5 with a DVD-R Superdrive and I burned a DVD-RW data disk. How is this possible? I just bought 50 DVD+R and burn a data disk and it worked! I thought I only got a DVD-R drive. So I don't waste a DVD, can I burn Movie DVD's using my drive?

My PowerBook came with a -r/-rw superdrive, and I was just in system profiler today, and noticed that under the "burning" tab it said that my drive was compatible with both + and -. I am certian it hasn't always said this, perhaps a firmware upgrade for the superdrives came with Tiger?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Brigrat said:
My PowerBook came with a -r/-rw superdrive, and I was just in system profiler today, and noticed that under the "burning" tab it said that my drive was compatible with both + and -. I am certian it hasn't always said this, perhaps a firmware upgrade for the superdrives came with Tiger?

Yea. A while back they releaced superdrive firmware that expanded the DVD compatabilities, adding +R and +RW. It must come with tiger.

And G5unit, yes, you can burn movie DVDs with your drive. iDVD is the app you're looking for.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Yeh I know I can burn DVDs. But can I burn DVD+R (not data) movies using my drive. I don't know if there are compatability issues. I don't have tiger yet so thats why im confused.

BenAKL

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
Yes. I did a system profile and found out that my Superdrive can handle DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+r and DVD+RW.

Sweet! :D

I tried all formats and it works like a charm :)

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
no firmware changes needed, my G5's superdrive did burn +/- R/RW from the start... I got the Pioneer 8x shipped with a rev A G5 whilst the first series rev A had matshita or sony 4X drives if I recall correctly and wasn't sure if they were -R/RW only I know the superdrives wich came with the G4 towers were -R/RW only...

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
G5Unit said:
So why dosen't apple advertise that on thier website?

Apple is one of the supporters of the DVD-R standard... thats why they promote that & thats why they sell -R data...

but since most drives become dual types... hey build them in their systems...

thats why there is DL in the Apple's now too... it arrived silently because its the +RW type...

J

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
G5Unit said:
Yeh I know I can burn DVDs. But can I burn DVD+R (not data) movies using my drive. I don't know if there are compatability issues. I don't have tiger yet so thats why im confused.

Thats a good question. I'm not sure how iDVD will react to a +R DVD. The firmware may be up to burning a +R dvd (ie. from the finder) but iDVD may still reject it. Then again, it may work no problem. How about you give it a try and tell us what happends? :D

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Which brand of DVD+R would you recommend? A store near me is selling TDK DVD+R discs half-off. Are they a good brand to use? I tried some DVD+R DL discs from Memorex recently and they stopped burning part of the way through. I am now cautious about even single-layer discs now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.