DVD Region help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by axeldtf, Jan 20, 2011.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I just bought an instructional dvd from the UK that wont play in my DVD players. It will play fine in my imac though. So i ripped it with mactheripper and tried burning it to a dvd-r but i'm still having the same problem. Is there a way to burn it so it will play in my dvd player? I should mention that i live in the United States.. Not sure of that region. Thanks in advance

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

When you go to rip the dvd in mac the ripper make sure the "new region" is set to all. If that doesnt work, download mpeg stream clip (free). Bring the vob from the ripped dvd
    export as quicktime
    bring into idvd and burn

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the new region was set to all by default. Mpeg Streamclip is giving me a hard time.. I'm trying handbrake but it's making me rip each chapter individually. So that may be the way to go.. Thanks for the response

4. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually... second idea.. I'm using Roxio toast to convert to apple tv.. then i'm gonna try burning that file with toast or iDVD. We shall see i suppose

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

you can also take the video ts folder (when ripped from mac the ripper) and burn that to dvd in toast. try that before doing additional conversions.

6. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what i had done originally. the players didn't read it

7. simsaladimbamba

Did you burn it has video DVD or as data DVD, if you used Toast or Burn? Finder can't burn video DVDs.

8. boch82 macrumors 6502

Seems like it might be a PAL/NTSC issue then. You would need to rip to a quicktime then let Toast or iDVD convert that QT into NTSC MPEG2 files to burn.

9. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so toast is giving me an error message... (Could not record the disk because a file couldn't be found -roxio error = -43) Also idvd wouldnt touch it either. any suggestions? I figured this would be a slam dunk as far as ripping and burning...

10. boch82 macrumors 6502

When you did the last rip did to have the "de-macrovision" set on mac the ripper? otherwise these programs wont let you burn copy-written dvds

Did you make a quicktime of it? If so how large is the file? If you can cut the file to like 10 seconds of video (less than 10mb) and email it to me i can attempt to troubleshoot....

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

12. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your responses.. It seems like Toast has handled it for me. At first it wouldn't re-encode to ntsc.. it says it was missing a file. I think i had renamed a file and it couldnt find it. So after ripping it with MTR, I used toast to convert it to apple tv (mp4) file. Then i burned it with toast. The only issue i have is that I'm sure video quality has diminished slightly. I dont notice it but it cant be dvd quality.