DVD Rip and Subtitles.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matthewlane, Oct 20, 2011.

1. matthewlane macrumors newbie

I'm currently trying to convert my dvd collection and add it to iTunes and my plans have come unstuck when it comes to subtitles.

Part of my collection is a whole bunch of old war movies (Battle of Britain, The Longest Day, Tora Tora Tora as a few examples) now the thing with these movies is that there is a fair bit of German and Japanese which has subtitles in English.

I tried originally ripping one of these with Ripit, did it perfectly all bar the subtitles, I've since got my hands on Handbrake and again although this rips perfectly i still can't get any of the subtitles showing on the MP4 for the foreign language parts. I've been trying all sorts of combinations in the subtitles option within handbrake but nothing i seem to do gets them to display.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Matt

2. careypo macrumors member

Have you tried looking at the subtitles in VLC? Some Subtitles aren't compatible with Handbrake and VLC. They aren't perfect by any means for handling subtitles. You could try a few other Apps to see if those work. I would recommend looking around the internet and try a bunch of different DVD programs. I always use DVDxDV Pro for ripping my subtitled DVDs, but it won't work with CSS encrypted content.

3. Sterkur macrumors newbie

Can you please explain what you mean by 'CSS encrypted content'? How do you know what the encryption is and how do you go around it?
    I am looking to move my DVD collection to iTunes and I know that some of the disks (Greys Anatomy) are encrypted and I am having a hard time finding out how to circumvent it.
    I have access to Windows, does that help?

4. careypo macrumors member

CSS is the most common form of copy protection on a DVD. It stands for Content Scrambling System. You can find out more about this on the internet.