DVD rip into iMovie... HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2807, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 2807 macrumors member

Ok, so I used Handbrake and all went well... BUT... according to Apple store and Apple Care it is the rip/quality/process of handbrake that is causing so much slowdown and stuttering issues in iMovie.

So, I tried "rip it" and it worked, but it uses VLC (orange cone icon) to play it and I cannot get the footage imported into iMovie (11) !

This is a simple dvd of old home movies from 35 years ago. It should not be this hard!

What do I do to get the footage into iMovie so I can make transitions, music, and a simple little dvd?

Thanks folks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You can do it two ways.

1. Use Handbrake to make a good quality .mp4 file and open that .mp4 file in MPEG Streamclip and use CMD+E to export the file as QuickTime with Apple Intermediate Codec as the compressor for video and Uncompressed for Sound. Then import the the resulting .mov file into iMovie.

2. Use MPEG Streamclip directly to open the DVD, but you need the QT MPEG-2 PlayBack Component for 20 USD to do so, and export as in step 1.

And the third option is using MRoogle to find one or three of the dozens of already answered threads about the very same issue.
    http://mroogle.*************/

3. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I've used method 1 and while it works fine be warned that the resulting files are quite large. If possible, convert one clip at a time and work on that.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

You probably couldn't get it imported because you are using the wrong codec or format. Make sure that you are ripping the dvd video into a format that can be edited in iMovie. So many people on these forums think they can just rip it to an AVI file or a movie CONTAINER rather than a movie FORMAT and then they wonder why they can't import the footage. Stick to quicktime MOV files for now until you learn more about formats.

5. mondman macrumors newbie

newbie to mac the ripper

I recently had all my high 8 movies converted to DVD- Now I am trying to import video from the dvd into Imovie. I used Mac the ripper and can now play the videos on my IMAC but can't figure out how to get them into I movie

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks for the summary.

I'm not exactly a movie newbie, but I still struggle with the DVD -> imovie route.

MPEG Streamclip is rather user un-friendly too.

7. simsaladimbamba

Have you read the thread yet?

Or this?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=812985&highlight=

See above link, and I find iDVD and iMovie rather user unfriendly, I can work much easier with DVD Studio Pro and FCP. I never could figure out iDVD the three times I tried to customise things and iMovie is dreck anyway. For me.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks - I was looking for that for ages. Bookmarked now. Actually I saved somewhere and printed it as I don't really use bookmarks any more.

This is a silly question, but which thread does that come from? I couldn't find it and MRoogle wouldn't tell me. Quite like to see the other workflows it mentions.

9. simsaladimbamba

That comes from the thread I linked to and never really got finished, but the same principle (using MPEG Streamclip) still applies for other containers with other codecs, though if one uses .mkv files one might need to go via Handbrake and try the .mp4 route and see, if iMovie recognises the .mp4, which I have read conflicting things about.