DVD Rip - resolution in iTunes & Quicktime

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mark-Mac-Attack, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

Bit of strange one, although i'm sure someone will give me the quick answer I am looking for.

Looking at sorting out my DVD's, ripping them for when :apple: TV arrives with me.

Ripped a DVD using HandBrake and looks and plays fine on Quicktime Pro and DivX player, but on iTunes the resolution is 1444x434 which results in a film that is squashed. This is different to the resolution on the file itself which is said to be 1015x434.

Any ideas why this is? Was ripped using the Apple TV preset on HandBrake which seems to be of good quality (2GB filesize for 1:48 long film).

Regards,

Mark.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I see that this is your first post here in the Digital Video category of MacRumors Forums. I would like to be the first to welcome you here and hope that we can solve your resolution and frame size problem and answer any other questions you may have.
    When ripped, is the ripped file an MPEG-4 (.mp4) file? The presets are meant to make the resolution that the device plays in. With that said, I believe that :apple:TV plays in the original format of either 1080p or 720p in the case that it is off a DVD. The resolution off of a DVD (not Blu-Ray) is 1280x720 progressive scan, hence the p of 720p. You can try to rip the DVD with the normal preset as there may be a problem with the :apple:TV. To overcome this problem you can rip the DVD using the "Normal" preset. This will create an MPEG-4 file I believe that can be imported into iTunes. It may create a .mov file that can also be imported into iTunes. The MPEG-4 file can be put on an :apple:TV. I hope that this will fixed your problem and please don't hesitate to PM me or post here if the problem persists. Feel free to start a new thread if it does not relate to this one.

Regards,
    David

3. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there.

Yes it is an mp4 file. I haven't tried it on Apple TV yet, as I don't yet have it, it's just in anticipation and best get started on the conversion of my DVD's.

I just understand why the resolution is different in different programs?

I shall rip it in the "normal" preset and see what happens.

Thanks,

Regards,

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Do you mean you just don't understand why the res is different in different programs? If so, then when you import it into iTunes it may be converting to a different format. I suggest that you try exporting it from QuickTime as a .mov file when you view it in QT. Why it is just widening the image I do not understand. I am trying to troubleshoot this to the best ability and hope that we can figure this out. I am not familiar with a format of video that is 1015x434. Please tell me what DVD you are working and what type of footage it is, i.e. NTSC, PAL, SECAM.

Regards,
    David

5. Patcoola macrumors member

Patcoola

problem with the aspect ratio maybe, what was the handbreak settings.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't use Handbrake, but an Apple TV can play video at up to 1280x720. Your DVD is only 720x576 so it's possible that Handbrake is "stretching" the video out to a bigger resolution. Try using a lower resolution.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

There's obviously an aspect ratio problem -- the aspect ratio has changed!;) He said that the setting was on the Apple TV preset. Can you send a screenshot of what the picture looks like.:)

Regards,
    David

8. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, let me sort some screenshots out..

Cheers for you interest.

9. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

The film is Donnie Darko. 2.35:1 Anamorphic DVD (PAL Region 2)

HandBrake settings:
    [​IMG]
    Quicktime
    [​IMG]
    iTunes
    [​IMG]

HTH's!

Mark.

10. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It's definently a possibility that HandBrake is stretching it. I don't see much quality loss in the two.:rolleyes: You should also try not using H.264. It is an unnecessary codec for this and will just degrade the quality more then needed.

Regards,
    David

12. sud macrumors regular

Sorry for butting in on your post with a question, but if I can, am in the same situation as you.

1. If I may would like to know what is the best settings on handbrake to rip my dvd collection to play on the apple tv and at the same time work on my iphone.

2. Which is the best codec to use and the quickest with out loosing much quality?

Thanking in advance for any replies

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

The best handbrake preset to use for apple tv and iphone is probably just the normal one. In iTunes you an create an iPod/iPhone version of the movie which scale it down and creates an mp4 file so you can play it on you iPhone. To do this click on the movie you want to make an iPod/iphone version and click advanced at the top of the screen the. Go down to the Create iPod/iPhone version. This will automaticall make it playable on your iPhone. You now just have to select it to sync on your iPhone.

14. sud macrumors regular

15. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Well I ripped it using the "normal" preset.

This has no issues with iTunes, and looks the same as it does in Quicktime.

I will have another play around and see what happens.

Cheers.

Mark.

16. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Just curious, when you get the :apple:TV, can you post here to tell us how it worked?

Regards,
    David

17. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I will, it's been ordered, but it's actually a present for my 24th birthday so will have to wait until the 18th :apple: