DVD rip software

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ysvsr1, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ysvsr1 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I know it is 2019 and I am asking for dvd rip software. i have some old tv shows on dvd and would like to rip them and move them to my plex setup. I tried Handbrand Makemkv so far and some disks are not converting to mp4 properly. If you use any paid dvd rip software, please suggest one with your comments.

2. dandeco macrumors 6502

I recommend MacX DVD Ripper Pro. But this isn't really the right place to post your question...

3. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

I used Handbrake to rip over 1200 DVD's and only had a few problems. I tried a couple of the paid programs on those, and they couldn't do them either. However, it used to be simpler to install the library that is used to read copy protected DVD's. I can still boot into MacOS 10.8.5 to rip commercial DVD's with Handbrake and that works fine. But on Sierra, it refuses to rip a copy protected disk.

Do a Google search for "handbrake libdvdcss" to find ways around this.

4. F-Train macrumors 65816

Does this mean that it’s easier to do this on Linux?

5. Dr. Stealth, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019

Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

I use AnyDVD HD for ripping. DVD's & Blu-Rays are a piece of cake.

6. Expobill macrumors 65816

Expobill

does handbarke work in Mojave? MTlion was the last osx that read the lbsscs library

7. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Yes, like I said, I can boot my 2012 quad mini into 10.8.5, and that's what I used to rip all my DVD's. Do the Google search I suggested if you want to use it on newer MacOS versions. I started looking into that a couple years ago and decided it wasn't worth the effort, since I could just use my existing Mountain Lion setup.

8. lemieuxfan67 macrumors member

I use MakeMKV to rip DVD's, then Handbrake to convert to the format I need. I've ripped my entire Blu-ray and DVD collection this way.

9. ysvsr1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Handbrake is good when dvd is in good condition. But it is failing for some really old dvds. I will try macx dvd ripper.

10. archer75 macrumors 68020

That's what I do as well. 1500 rips and growing! DVD, Bluray and UHD. No problem.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2019 ---
    That's an issue with the disc and/or reader you're using. Not the software. Some drives can handle scratched up discs better than others.

11. ysvsr1 thread starter macrumors member

I am using samsung drive. Can you recommend any other good one?

12. archer75 macrumors 68020

I am using ASUS BW-16D1HT. It's also a UHD friendly drive should you ever wish to rip those.