DVD rip software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ayabaloo, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ayabaloo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you guys knew of any recommended DVD Ripping software, I have to make backups of some DVD's since Im moving from house to house I wont have to worry about my entertainment system going dry.

Any one out there recommend or know of any?

Thanks in advance.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

MacTheRipper is pretty good.
    Handbrake is good for encoding.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, DVDFab for Windows. That's by far the best right now anyway...I use it via Parallels. Handbrake, Mac the Ripper, etc. is too much of a hassle...

This is definitely one area where Windows owns OS X; DVD backup software. Not even close.

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

How is MactheRipper a hassle? You just click and let it run... :confused:

EDIT: 3 years ago I would have agreed with you, btw, but now I find OSX to be easier than Windows (and more reliable, about half of my windows back-ups lasted less than a year).

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

maybe because DVDshrink under windows can back up a DVD disk directly to a 4.5G *.iso? MacTheRipper will most likely give you a larger folder (5,6,7G) that you can't burn it to a 4.7G DVD disk.

I also think when comes to DVD backing up, OSX is pretty behind windows and linux.

reliability? I think you are making an confused statement. I see of no reason to think the DVDs you ripped under mac last longer...

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Handbrake and VisualHub (you can even put several movies on one dvd).
    Works well for me anyway.

8. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

9. djkny macrumors 6502

Whatever happened to the fan base for DVDbackup? Does anyone use that anymore???

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

MacTheRipper for ripping.

Handbrake for encoding.

Couldn't be easier. Though MTR is getting on a bit, and can'd handle a few newer DVDs with more sophisticated copy protection.

11. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

Which version are you using? The MTR 3.x betas can power through just about anything now.

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Isn't that limited release? I don't mind paying for it, but I thought it was only available to certain testers?

Point me in the right direction as I'd love to get my hands on it :eek:

13. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

Go to the MTR forum. Read the thread on how to donate to geezerbutt (MTR's author). You'll have to set up a forum account with ripdifferent in order to do it.

(Edit: It's back up now)

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

DVD copy is different from DVD compressing.... just to back up a DVD to another DVD disk, no loss of quality and can be played on any DVD player...

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Handbrake for conversion to mp4/avi.
    Fast DVD Copy for DVD backups.

16. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

With Visualhub there's negligible loss of quality and it can be played on any dvd player - it creates and then burns an .iso file. Okay, you lose special features, but that doesn't bother me.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it doesn't have to be visualhub, any app with same engine can do "negligible loss", altho I don't agree with the judgement of "negligible".

I do agree that in case of DVD ripping+compressing, OSX is as good as windows or linux.

However, the more important thing is I don't think OP was asking for DVD rip+compress softwares.

18. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Actually I don't think the OP specified any particular method.
    What the OP seems to want is to be able to bring his/her dvd collection about. If special features don't bother him/her, then Handbrake/Visualhub is a good option as several movies can be fit on a single dvd, reducing the number of disks to have to bring. If she wants to keep them on a mac, even better, there's no need for Visualhub. If s/he wants special features, obviously this won't work for him/her. It depends what s/he actually wants.

19. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Is is quicker, overall, to rip your DVDs to your HD first then encode, or is it fine to encode using Handbrake straight from the DVD?

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Doing it directly from Handbrake constantly acesses the dvd drive which has to cause wear and tear, especially on 2 pass encoding. However it is faster, and is fine if you're doing one dvd. If you're doing several, it's easier to use MTR to rip to your hd, and then queue them in Handbrke to work overnight.