DVD Ripped using Mac The Ripper - file unfound - HD space used up - Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kokoblico, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kokoblico macrumors newbie

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum. I am in the process of backing up some DVDs using Mac The Ripper, and had set my destination file to an external Hard Drive which was NOT connected to my powerbook at the time of the rip.

Somehow, I was able to rip the DVD using Mac the Ripper. In fact about 8 GB were taken up from my INTERNAL Hard Disk space!! Not sure how that happened!? And to make things worse, I cannot find the file!!

Can anyone help? I am low on my Internal Hard Disk space and really need to find that file to delete it.
    I did "Verify Disk" using the Disk Utility, and it found that there were 2 flies that are on my hard drive but have no directories! I am assuming they might be the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS from that DVD rip which was supposed to be using space from my external Hard Drive, but because I did not have it connected, the space was used by my internal Hard Drive and now I cannot find the location of that rip.

Any advise would be appreciated, as opposed to having to format my internal Hard Disk and to have to reinstall my software, my application, and my Data!

Thanks.

Kokoblico.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use Disk Inventory X (www.derlien.com) to find where the HDD space is gone to.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

They might be stuck as temporary files? It wouldn't hurt to try running the maintenance scripts to see if it cleans up those lost items. Open up terminal and at the command prompt type in and enter: sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

If you named the file with a period (.) as the first character, the file will become hidden. UNIX hides files with period as the first character.

Using DiskInventoryX, like Spinnerlys said, is a great idea. Try that first. Deadwulfe might be correct, too, but if the file is stuck in your temporary files, the maintenance scripts will erase it and you will have to re-rip your file.

If that doesn't work, go to Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and try finding your file with these commands:

PHP:
    cd ~/directory_you_saved_the_file_into
    ls 
    -als
    If you are able to find it, try renaming it to another filename:
    PHP:
    mv original_filename new_filename
    -Aaron-