DVD Ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ARF900, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Ok, I know there are alot of threads about this, but I am confused about these different apps and what they do. What I want to do is take Movies from DVDs I have and be able to watch them on my macbook pro without the disk, and I want to be able to put them on my iphone as well. There are alot of different apps for DVD ripping so I just want to know what is best for my needs. I have seen on this forum about handbrake but people have said that there is loss of quality with handbrake. I want as little loss of quality as possible. I want it to be compatible with iTunes, and I want it free. So what is best? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am running snow leopard (10.6.2)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Handbrake is still your best bet for what you want to do

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

If you want a single copy that's compatible with multiple devices, there will be some loss due to re-encoding a 6-7 GB DVD down to a few megs. And Handbrake is the best app for this purpose. If you want a lossless copy, then you need something like RipIt, which will put the entire 6GB file on your mac, but your options for playback will be limited.

Get to know Handbrake. It's what you need. And don't interpret lossy with "bad quality". My 25 gig Blu Rays re-encoded to a 2-4 gig mkv look fantastic on my HDTV.

James

5. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

Thanks everyone for the info and help! I'm going to download handbrake and ill post again if I have any questions.