DVD Rippers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speakerwizard, May 8, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i have to say that other than handbrake the state of mac dvd rippers is horrible (coming from a long time mac user) mac the ripper (even beta 3) is falling far behind its pc rivals and there is very little to nothing else out there, i am using windows on parallels mainly for one thing - DVDFab (trial) this app is great i prey they make a mac version, for a windows app i actually find it quite easy to use and it has never failed on the many mactheripper hasnt managed, anyway, im sure lots of you agree so ill end my rant now :)

2. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I use the beta version of MTR and I haven't had any problems. The DVD's with copy-protection on them from Sony give a little hassle, but it's still rippable.

With the DVDFab, does it rip Sony DVD's with the menu options and all? Or just the movie, like MTR does?

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i emailed DVDFAB and got this back...

Hi,

Our product can not work with MAC machine till now, we plan to develop one for MAC Later.

For better result in developing, could you please tell us the brand of your
    DVD drive on your machine?

Thanks for your help and we promise you if this version is available, we
    will inform you in the first time.

Sincerely,
    Ellen Zhang
    DVDIdle Support Team

shows potential, its a great product, get emailing them guys cause we need some competition in this field on the mac

4. tedhogan macrumors member

DVDFab

I tried DVDFab after reading about it on here. I am impressed. I purchased a license after backing up a few DVDs, some of which MTR gave me problems with.

I highly recommend DVDFab w/ Parallels. I'd rather have a native app, but I have found nothing out there that compares. DVDFab is very Mac-like in that it's an extremely simple "point and click" app with a clean interface. Very nice.

Give it a try and judge for yourself. There is a 30 day trial version.

Ted

5. benniec14 macrumors newbie

I agree! I've tried a couple of different mac ripping programs and they are slow compared to a few windows based programs I've tried.
    I downloaded parallels and will be using my old set up of dvdshrink to rip my dvds normally or to an iso file. Then play them with my VLC player or burn to a dvd. Still trying to find a fast conversion program to get them ready for my ipod. Heard visualhub is pretty good and fast.
    Come on mac get some better ripping programs!

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

DVDshrink was the best, until the cat stopped developing it. Now, DVDfab is the best. Once in a while I run into something it can't rip. If that happens, I go to DVD Decrypter, and create an image file, then burn it.

Sadly, for some, Mac can't touch PC for DVD ripping.

7. benniec14 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! I'm going to download DVDfab tomorrow and will run a test and compare it with DVD shrink.
    BTW, I looked at a screen shot of DVDfab and it's very similar to DVD shrink at least as far as looks. Very promising!

8. kgraf6 macrumors member

Performance

I've been using DVDFab on my windows system for some time now... Having just purchased a new Macbook Pro with Superdrive I am very interested to find the fastest DVD copying solution for on my mac.

I have tried DVDFab with Parallels and am still seeing quite slow results...
    Under Parallels I have,
    768mb RAM
    Windows XP Home Edition
    DVDFab Platinum
    Set Parallels to allocate resources for better Mac OS X performance...

Estimated time for a DVD Copy shows about 50 minutes and I was getting full copys in 20 minutes on Windows System. I am aware that it will not be entirely as fast as a native windows system but I think 50 minutes is too long.

I would much appreciate anybody posting there specs and results... Especially if you know where I am going wrong..

9. 41DMBfan macrumors newbie

I've been using DVDfab on my Windows machine for some time, and have been able to "back up" a TON of my DVDs, as well as use the Mobile Option to convert video for the iPhone as well as my PSP. I will be officially converting to Mac next week, and am wondering a few things...

One project that I have used DVDfab for, is to create compilation DVDs of several titles into one disc (e.g.: 30 minute Baby Einstein episodes into one, 2-hour long DVD). I was able to do this, by ripping the DVD into ISO format, and then mounting them into multiple virtual drives. Will I be able to create a virtual drive(s) on my Mac using Parallels?

Or would this project just be simpler if I used Boot Camp to install Windows, and then run DVDfab from there?

Thanks all!

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Another good new one to try out is RipIt which is kept updated pretty well and could not be much simpler. You can download a trial at this page to check it out.

If you make sure to UNcheck the "Use '.dvdmedia' Extension" in the preferences, it rips to a standard VIDEO_TS folder just like Mac The Ripper or any standard DVD ripping application.

11. 41DMBfan macrumors newbie

Update...

My MacBook has arrived, and I've gotten the chance to play with it a bit. I installed Parallels, and have been running DVDfab without any issues. I am also using a program called Active@ISO so that I can convert DVDs to ISO format (with DVDfab), store them on a hard drive, and then burn them later whenever I wish.

Cheers!

12. tug macrumors 6502

seconded. ripit is by far the best out there, sony, disney, what ever, never had a problem.

13. jlc1978, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I'd third ripit. I've tried a few of the others and they are OK but pipit is the most straight forward and robust. It comes closest to AnyDVD on Windows.

I actually use DVDCatalyst ($10) on a VM to convert to .mp4's (it is awesome and also runs in CrossOver) - it will also do Blu Ray conversions or mkv's from MakeMKV. MakeMKV also can do full backups as well - although I haven't tried that feature.

In short - ripit plus MakeMKV on the Mac, and DVDCatalyst in a VM or Crossover and you're good to go. Cost is pretty cheap as well.

14. tug macrumors 6502

ripit also compresses into mp4 (not sure about the free version but the paid version does) :)

15. harleyjeff macrumors newbie

Try this!!!! It works every time!

I use a program for MAC called Fairplay. All you have to do is run Fairplay, then copy any DVD with Toast Titanium Pro. Works like a charm.

16. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Never really tried that. I may try it for a movie, but much of my DVD collection is TV series with multiple episodes per disk, so I use DVD Catalyst to turn them into stand alone files with a naming sequence of Name - SxxEyy so it is easy to locate the files as well as use the internet to grab the show info.

17. tug macrumors 6502

yeah, your doin the right thing there mate, cos ripit don't do that.