dvd ripping and burning help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zlogan, Mar 18, 2012.

1. zlogan macrumors newbie

I have posted before but I cant seem to get this to work yet. I have a 21" imac which was recently bought after a long time PC user. Here are my specs,

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Running Mac OS X 10.7.3.

This is what I am trying to do, all on DVDs that I own.

I am trying to strip the copyright protection.
    Rip the discs.
    Make sure they are playable on a standard DVD player.
    Compress them so they fit on a standard DVD, not Duel Layer.

I have downloaded the demos of Mac the ripper pro, rip it and burn. But I haven't been able to work out the steps to get this done. I tried Fairmount but the VIDEO_TS was way to large to burn.

This is so I can burn extra copies of my kids DVDs, they are rough on them and it gets expensive to have to replace them all the time.

Thanks in advance,
    Zack

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

If you're looking to strip the copy protection and compress video files, then you may want to check out a paid app called iskysoft dvd ripper. if you don't fancy paying for it then you can get it off the torrent sites with a bittorrent client. it also allows you to encode video files into different formats, cut, edit and enhance them too. I use this in conjunction with Burn 2.51 which allows me to burn region free dvd's, which comes in handy, as i have a lot of US region 1 dvd's lying about, that i can't play here in the UK. if burn doesn't fit your criteria then you may want to check out an app called toast, to burn your dvd's.

3. zlogan thread starter macrumors newbie

So does it compress them to fit on a standard 4.7 Gb DVD?

4. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Yes you can edit/ compress video files with the iskysoft dvd ripper app. you may also find the toast app handy too, for this purpose.