dvd ripping and converting to mov or avi

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flying Frog, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Flying Frog macrumors newbie

Hi, I need a dvd ripping apps that could convert them to a format that could be read by imovie so I can edit them. Any body can recommend one free if possible.

2. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I second this!

I have found that avi works better than handbrake m4v's or mp4's when streaming, and want an app to convert video files to what ever i want, perferably AVI!

thanks

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mroogle will have answered that question for you many and plenty of times.

There is MacTheRipper, RipIt and Fairmount to rip (copy the DVD to your HDD while removing the copyright protection) the video DVD to your HDD.

Then there is Handbrake to convert the ripped DVD to a file like .mkv, .mp4 and .avi with MPEG-4 codecs like Xvid and H264, which are not meant for editing though, as they don't store every frame of the video (video DVDs use MPEG-2 as a codec, which also only stores every 15th frame and the frames in between are approximations).

After that you can use MPEG-Streamclip to convert the compressed video file to a .mov file encoded with the DV codec, a codec iMovie can read and is meant for editing, as it stores every frame and takes up approx. 220MB/s.

You can also skip Handbrake and use MPEG-Streamclip for converting directly to a DV encoded .mov file from the ripped video DVD, but you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 component (19USD) to be able to access the MPEG-2 encoded video DVD footage via MPEG-Streamclip.

But it would save one encoding process.

4. oposky2006 macrumors member

seems a good idea, im gonna have a try

5. gotenks05 macrumors member

Mac the Ripper cannot be easily found anymore. I suggest Vobcopy. It does what Mac the Ripper did, but it must be compiled and does not have a GUI. Handbrake can be used to turn it into a single file, instead of a whole folder.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It can be found via Google and trying out the first two links. Nothing fancy.

And as I pointed out earlier, MacTheRipper copies the video DVD's content, it does not turn it into a whole folder, as that folder already exists on the video DVD.