DVD ripping for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by musical87, Aug 23, 2012.

1. musical87 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right area to post but here goes! Recently been ripping some of my DVD collection via handbrake and into iTunes to watch primarily on my ipad. Ive been using the iPad preset at the side of Handbrake. Now, I don't currently have Apple TV but I'm considering it. Would I need to re rip my DVDs using the Apple TV preset or will the ones I've already ripped using the Ipad preset be ok quality wise? I'm not too far into my collection so if I have to go back and start again then I can but it would be great if the ones I've done already can be used fine with Apple TV.

I cant seem to find an answer anywhere so any help much appreciated!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I haven't had any issues with quality, but I am not particularly picky either

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I almost think you will be ok but what TV (size etc) do you have? I watch movies just fine ripped for the first ATV on my TV from my Mac Mini and they're just fine for me. No pixel issues or anything but clearly not BR. TBH, I think I only jumped on BR because it was the thing to do, I am not as picky as most.

4. musical87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. TV is 42" Plasma. Hopefully the iPad rips will do. I might take the plunge and pick Apple TV up and then can give it a test.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Fact is, it is worth a shot. I somehow don't think it'll be a problem but again, I'm not picky.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

really you would have to try when you get your ATV re-rip a movie you already did with the iPad setting and see if you can notice a difference.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can already tell you the difference in quality *for me* wouldn't be worth the trouble of re-ripping :)

8. musical87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys, I'll pick one up and give it a go!