Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I want to make a digital copy of a DVD movie that is not available on iTunes or any other streaming services. In Canada this is legal for backing up owned media. Not sure if this discussion will be allowed here as I am not sure of the legalities in other countries.

I was trying to use Handbrake to RIP the DVD, but it seems they removed some features a while back that allows Handbrake to do this well. In googling I found something called libdvdcss. I found a tutorial video on how to install this, I did it on my M1 Max, but it does not work and I have the same distorted videos after ripping.

Has anyone gotten this to work in Monterey on an M series chip? I do have an intel iMac at work running Big Sur I could use as well, the methods I tried did not work on the iMac.

Reactions: bwillwall

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
IIRC, the libdvdcss problems go back to a change in MacOS a number of years ago. I think there's still a way to make it work on Intel but it may depend on what version of MacOS you're running. I still have a 2013 MacBook Air running Sierra that I don't use for anything else, but it has an old installation of Handbrake that still works, so that's what I generally use. I ripped around 1000 of my own DVD's with Handbrake between ~2014 - 2018 and have them on a Mini that I use as an iTunes server. Rarely need to rip anything these days.

Got a couple DVD's as a gift a couple years ago and Handbrake wouldn't do them so I tried one of the commercial products, I think it was MacX DVD Ripper. It had a free trial that worked fine, so that was all I needed. No idea if this works on the M1 however.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
IIRC, the libdvdcss problems go back to a change in MacOS a number of years ago. I think there's still a way to make it work on Intel but it may depend on what version of MacOS you're running. I still have a 2013 MacBook Air running Sierra that I don't use for anything else, but it has an old installation of Handbrake that still works, so that's what I generally use. I ripped around 1000 of my own DVD's with Handbrake between ~2014 - 2018 and have them on a Mini that I use as an iTunes server. Rarely need to rip anything these days.

Got a couple DVD's as a gift a couple years ago and Handbrake wouldn't do them so I tried one of the commercial products, I think it was MacX DVD Ripper. It had a free trial that worked fine, so that was all I needed. No idea if this works on the M1 however.
I have an older iMac at home I was preparing to sell. It has El Capitan I think. I am going to try that out and see if I can get this one DVD to rip with an older version of handbrake (if I can find one).

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I don't think VLC can rip protected DVD's
Well, it does not “rip” - it’s more like a process to record the DVD content to MP4 in real time. And of course it works with protected DVDs.
You can then use something like Handbrake&Co. to reencode the output to something more manageable.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Since you only want to rip one DVD, I suspect the easiest way is just to use one of the commercial products that has a free trial.
I am using the MKV option Wizec suggested. It is about halfway through. Hoping it keeps subtitles at least as some of the movie is in Italian and needs subtitles.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
I want to make a digital copy of a DVD movie that is not available on iTunes or any other streaming services. In Canada this is legal for backing up owned media. Not sure if this discussion will be allowed here as I am not sure of the legalities in other countries.

I was trying to use Handbrake to RIP the DVD, but it seems they removed some features a while back that allows Handbrake to do this well. In googling I found something called libdvdcss. I found a tutorial video on how to install this, I did it on my M1 Max, but it does not work and I have the same distorted videos after ripping.

Has anyone gotten this to work in Monterey on an M series chip? I do have an intel iMac at work running Big Sur I could use as well, the methods I tried did not work on the iMac.
Do you by chance have an other windows machine or a win vm ?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Rip using Makemkv and then send that file to handbrake for further compression is the best way to do this. It will keep all subtitles and chapters.
All makemkv does is rip the original file off the disk without converting the format, with subtitles and all(not the menus), and saves it as a MKV.

• Love
Reactions: thv and lostPod

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
just seconding makemkv is the best imo, no frills it just works. yes it will keep all the subtitle options :) and audio options as well, like directors commentary etc.. it's also able to get past most encryption that I've encountered. if you need to use it again I believe you can keep getting free keys for the beta version, but as it's not too much for a license and I've used it a lot, I paid

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
Yep. MakeMKV is awesome. I don’t rip discs anymore, but it was pretty great for storing lossless versions of my Blu-ray movies.

Reactions: rhett7660

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The most powerful ripper which I believe existed long before MKV is MacTheRipper (MTR). Has an extensive list of options to handle hard to rip disks with things like bad sectors. Technically the most features which makes it harder to use since you have to understand the various options. Requires a donation.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Yep. MakeMKV is awesome. I don’t rip discs anymore, but it was pretty great for storing lossless versions of my Blu-ray movies.
Yeah, I am reviewing the copy I made and picture quality is great. Simple and easy, wish there was a native Mac port, but I have Windows in VM and it works fine in Windows 11 ARM.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, I am reviewing the copy I made and picture quality is great. Simple and easy, wish there was a native Mac port, but I have Windows in VM and it works fine in Windows 11 ARM.
The quality from makemkv is great because it’s the original file ripped off the disk and put into a mkv container. There is no conversion and hence no quality loss.
What do you mean by native Mac port? Makemkv is on Mac.

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
What do you mean? I’ve always used the Mac version. You don’t need to run it in a VM.

Reactions: rhett7660

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I've always used (legally where I am from) HandBrake without issue; but I haven't ripped a personal DVD in a long time. Does it no longer work? I'd always be able to just pop the disc in, fire up Handbrake, and it'd copy.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I've always used (legally where I am from) HandBrake without issue; but I haven't ripped a personal DVD in a long time. Does it no longer work? I'd always be able to just pop the disc in, fire up Handbrake, and it'd copy.
Handbrake Removed the part that decrypted commercial dvds over a decade ago from the app due to it being old, buggy and they didnt want to be associated with dvd piracy. They wanted handbrake to just be a video encoder. So either you have been using an old version all this time or you really haven’t done much in a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.