Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I was wondering what are the best apps available on Mac for DVD ripping. Im currently using DVDReMaster Pro along with Fairmount to mount the drive. I have come from a Windows environment using AnyDVD / CloneDVD2 which are the best apps on the planet for Windows. These wont work on Mac as they have to be re-written for the Unix environment. The benefits of AnyDVD was it created a log file with the copy protection and the decryption data to decode it, whereas the Mac apps fail to do this to my knowledge. Also once ripped, whats the best app to convert these to either H.264 / AVI as I use VLC as well.

tuthill

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
I have come from a Windows environment using AnyDVD / CloneDVD2 which are the best apps on the planet for Windows. These wont work on Mac as they have to be re-written for the Unix environment. The benefits of AnyDVD was it created a log file with the copy protection and the decryption data to decode it, whereas the Mac apps fail to do this to my knowledge. Also once ripped, whats the best app to convert these to either H.264 / AVI as I use VLC as well.

My experience has been that the best way to rip DVDs is to stick with AnyDVD etc. via a Bootcamp setup or through VMWare or Parallels.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
As far as MacTheRipper being outdated, there's actually been some recent updates out there, you just might have to dig a little.

In fact I was having problems copying a disc that had deliberate bad sectors on it and eventually found a newer version of MacTheRipper that was able to copy the disc just fine.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Mac DVDRipper Pro is the only one worth a penny. MTR is a joke, and RipIt, while nice looking, produces a lot of bad rips.

May 8, 2008
Mac DVDRipper Pro is the only one worth a penny. MTR is a joke, and RipIt, while nice looking, produces a lot of bad rips.

How so?

I've used RipIt about 30 or 40 times so far for ripping old, recent and brand new releases without a problem. That said, I'm only using it to rip copies to put on my iPhone for when I travel.

I'm just curious in where it's faltered.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
I used RipIt about 30 or 40 times so far for ripping old, recent and brand new releases without a problem.

Have to agree - never had a problem with Ripit.

Not tried MacTheRipper, seems like more hassle than it's worth. Read some very curious things about how you have to go about getting a new version...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
2 cents: mactheripper is worth the steps necessary to get it.

Mac DVD Ripper Pro and RipIt have done very well for me without playing the games that the MTR developer requires or the hoops you have to jump through to join the secret club and be admitted to the backroom to be able to donate $xx (what is it now $50) to obtain the holy grail of DVD software.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Mac DVD Ripper Pro and RipIt have done very well for me without playing the games that the MTR developer requires or the hoops you have to jump through to join the secret club and be admitted to the backroom to be able to donate $xx (what is it now $50) to obtain the holy grail of DVD software.

Agreed. Mac The Ripper is no longer my favorite. I had no problem paying for Mac the Ripper but having to sign up on special forums and such and the donation (don't call it a donation if its mandatory, just say it costs XX dollars).

Ripit however is excellent.

jonsuh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
+1 for MacTheRipper and/or RipIt.

The two pieces of software I would choose hands down to get the job done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.