Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
so i have this dvd of all my old work and home videos i want to rip at full quality to re-edit and enhance and create a new disc. what program that is free would work best?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
>> i want to rip at full quality to re-edit<<

At full quality? It ain't gonna happen. You'll be taking highly compressed, multiplexed MPEG-2 footage and converting it into an editable format. It will NOT be the same quality as the DVD ... and especially NOT the same quality as the footage you shot originally.

DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip are two programs you can use to convert a non-protected DVD's VOB files to editable formats. The format to convert to will depend on what editing software and settings within those programs you'll be using.

-DH

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
>> i want to rip at full quality to re-edit<<

DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip are two programs you can use to convert a non-protected DVD's VOB files to editable formats. The format to convert to will depend on what editing software and settings within those programs you'll be using.

-DH

Using MPEG Streamclip, does the quality still degrade as much as if you ripped it using Handbrake?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I would NOT recommend using Handbrake if you want to retain quality and do any additional editing.

-DH

DH - so using MPEG Streamclip, does the quality still degrade as much as if you ripped it using Handbrake?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
DH - so using MPEG Streamclip, does the quality still degrade as much as if you ripped it using Handbrake?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Handbrake is used to convert a DVD's highly compressed and multiplexed VOB files into an even more compressed format: MPEG-4 (yet another delivery format).

DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip will allow you to convert a DVD's VOB files into any number of editable OR delivery formats. Both offer good quality IF the original footage was decent and IF the first DVD encoding process wasn't too hard on it.

Quality is highly subjective. You're working with footage that's already taken a quality hit when compressed for DVD and attempting to expand that to a frame based format for editing (quality hit #2), then edit and probably recompress for a new DVD version (quality hit #3). Any time you compress video, information is thrown out .... and cannot be recovered when converting later. All of this means a loss of quality.

For editing purposes, go back to the original footage for any additional editing if quality is a prime issue.

-DH

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
DVDRemaster will allow you to convert an already ripped movie to a bunch of different formats. It costs $50 but I think it was a worth while purchase. And you only need to rip movies that have encryption. If the movie isn't encrypted you can just covert from the movie files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.