DVD ripping question (NOT piracy!) - camera angles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jdavtz, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

My iMac G5's DVD player is set to Region 2 (UK). There's a DVD I'd like to buy that teaches salsa dance moves, and has multi camera angles for each move, but is only available in Region 1.

If I use MacTheRipper (or equivalent?) to rip the DVD to the hard drive, will I still be able to choose the other angles when I'm playing it? (With VLC? Or another player?)

I don't have a multi-angle DVD to try it with, and I don't want to spend the money on the DVDs and shipping from the USA if it's not going to work.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jonathan.

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

MTR can make complete copies of DVDs including all the extra features. I think the biggest issue will be ripping an R1 DVD in the first place, do you plan to switch your drive region across, rip, then switch back? You'll lose two changes if you do that.

4. jdavtz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the region setting affect extraction of data from the DVD or just playback of the video from the DVD? (If I turn off autoplay in sys prefs).

(Although there's a Macbook in the house (which has never played a DVD in its life) we can use to do the extraction if necessary, so it doesn't really matter).