DVD Ripping question (specifically TS folder rips)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmitch720, Jul 14, 2013.

1. jmitch720 macrumors member

I couldn't find this exact question referenced anywhere else so please feel free to point me to another site. I am going through the process of ripping my dvd collection on my iMac using MacX DVD Ripper Pro. I am making TS folder backups as I want to preserve the entire disc exactly as it is and encode it later.

However, when I checked to make sure the disc and the TS folder quality match, I noticed something strange. I played a few minutes of the movie, and a few minutes of a "making of" feature. Then I did the same with the TS folder, playing it with VLC. The movies looked identical, but the "making of" video did not. The TS folder version had the horizontal lines associated with "telecining".

Is this supposed to be this way? Is it just an unfortuante side effect that cannot be fixed. If so, that's too bad, but I guess I'll live with it. Any insight would be appreciated. Let me know if you would like me to attach photos as an example.

2. hakuin macrumors regular

You are probably seeing this. Turn on "Deinterlace" in the VLC "Video" menu to solve it for playback.

3. jmitch720 thread starter macrumors member

You were 100% correct. I didn't know that VLC has it's own deinterlace feature. Video looks totally normal now. Thanks!