DVD ripping question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dougomite, Jan 20, 2010.

1. dougomite macrumors newbie

I had a part in Star Trek, I am trying to rip off my scene for my reel using Mac the ripper and then putting the vob files in Mpeg streamclip to .mov. I am getting error messages during the mac the ripper process saying that there is bad sectors. I have never had this problem before. I just need a short clip, but the sector is bad in the clip I need. I need it to be a high quality .mov file. any suggestions on what I can do? :(

NOTE: I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST THE ILLEGAL USE OF DISTRIBUTING AND MANUFACTURING OF ILLEGALY RIPPED DVD'S! AS THIS AFFECTS MY PAY IN THE INDUSTRY. THIS IS FOR MY PERSONAL USE ONLY.

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I don't own Star Trek so I haven't tried to rip it, but it could be that you are trying to rip a bogus title from the disc. What version of Mac the Ripper are you using? If it's 2.6.6, then you are going to have problems on a lot of newer movies. Disney, for example, is notorious for using bad sectors and dummy titles to try and thwart ripping.

If you are using MTR 3.x.x, then play the disc in VLC or another player and see what title actually plays. Then just rip that title in MTR and take the required vob from that rip.

Good luck.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Is the disc scratched? Did you opt to 'pad' the bad sectors?

4. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Mac the ripper is currently on version 4, so your way out of date there.

Here is a free solution that should help you out.

Go get the demo of DVD Remaster (http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/).

It comes with a free DVD ripper called Fairmount that works pretty well if a little slow. Rip your DVD. The use the demo of DVD remaster (I think its like a 5 day trial) to Export or Extract just the scene or scenes you are looking for into a format that works for you.

Hope this helps. If worst case scenario just PM me the scenes you need and what to look for and I can rip them from my copy for you. Gl!

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Thanks for the update. Good to know. I haven't ripped anything in a while. But the point of my post is still valid - if using MTR, you pretty much need a version later than 2.6.6 to rip newer releases.

6. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I wanted to upgrade to the new MTR but they make it so freaking difficult that I decided not to waste my time....they sent me like a 2 page email on how to pay them..ridiculous.

7. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

took me all of 10 minutes maybe to go form 3 to 4 (for free), and you will never need to do it again as MTR4 now has an update engine built into it.

8. dougomite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jtizzle, I will try that. Before I got your post I purchased Mac DVDripper pro, for 9.95. I thought it was going to get the vob files off the dvd like Mac the ripper does. It took the whole movie off as dvd media. Am I doing something wrong, or is this all it does? I want the files off so I can edit them in FCP. Has anyone used this program?
    Thanks,
    Douglas Tait :rolleyes:

9. oposky2006 macrumors member

why so complicated, i think handbrake can convert dvd to mov directly. have a try

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

ditto seems easier then MTR...