DVD Ripping & Reauthoring?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I have a few DVDs, that I want to put on AppleTV, that have some unique needs. These are DCI Drum Corps videos, in case anybody cares.

I use Handbrake. Basically there isn't a "main movie" on these DVDs. Instead, there are 12 "main movies", each about 12 minutes long.

I would like to rip them and combine them into one movie, but there's another catch: I would like to re-order them, so they play in reverse order. These are competitions, and they start with the winner first, loser last. I'd like one long movie with the loser first, winner last.

I typically rip with Handbrake, using the AppleTV default setting. I just don't know how to go about combining them. I've tried in Quicktime Pro and in iMovie HD (not the new one), but both of these seem to re-compress, resulting in lower quality than the Handbrake rips.

Is there a way to save from one of these applications without decreasing the quality or bloating the file size to greater than the sum of its parts? Or maybe I should do the initial rip a little higher, then allow Quicktime Pro or iMovie HD to do further compression? If that's your suggestion, any idea what settings I should use?

I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Because the files are already set on the DVD, you're not going to be able to re-arrange the videos.

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure I can. I've been doing it. I just can't seem to get the quality level I'm after.

I'm ripping each band as its own movie, then importing them as clips in iMovie HD, and adding them to the timeline in the order I want them to appear in the movie. Very similar process in Quicktime Pro.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Use MTR or Handbrake to rip each file as an MP4 (or is it AVI, I can never remember - whatever the default is for Handbrake) then drag the files to iDVD in whatever order you want. BAM - re-ordered DVD.

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

So rip to a lossless file format, basically, right?

Any suggestions on iMovie HD export settings to equal Handbrake's "AppleTV" preset?