DVD Ripping Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by a.smelgus1, Aug 4, 2008.

1. a.smelgus1 macrumors newbie

I am using Mac the ripper currently, but have found that it will not rip a couple DVD's i need it to. I have tried many other ripping softwares on the mac side, but have found they to do not rip these DVD's. I am planning on using a ripping program in parallels, but the ones I have tried on rip to an avi file. I believe that it needs to be exported as a Video TS folder to be burnable, but no programs i have found offer this on the windows side. So has anybody had any luck with ripping software on the windows side, or the mac side.

Thanks

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Running DVDFab 5 under WindowsXP through Parallels. So far there's nothing it won't rip. I just create ISOs, though, I haven't ripped to any other file type. Hope this helps.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HandBrake for OS X. Pretty much the best one out there.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Handbreak and VLC!

Kingcrowing put in a lot of effort in getting that article up and its a commendable job! Must read! Appreciated King!:D

5. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

6. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

MacTheRipper is what you want. It rips a copy of the DVD to the hard drive, with various options for taking the whole disc, or parts of it, as Video_TS folders containing VOB files.

If you do then want to convert it to a compressed video file, Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip are great.

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Another vote for DVDFab products. It's almost worth the price of Windows just to get this software!

8. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have been using a combination of FairMount and DMGConverter. Everything i have tried with it has worked just fine. FairMount uses VLC (so it has to be installed) to decrypt the DVD. FairMount then mounts an unenrypted disk image to the desktop from which you can copy whatever files you need/want. I FairMount the DVD, then create a folder on the dekstop with the title of the DVD, and then drag the Video_TS folder to that folder. Once it is copied over I use DMGConverter to convert the folder to a UDF filesystem .iso. As far as i can remember i have been able to back up every disk i have. From what i have found if VLC can play it then FairMount can decrypt it.

9. TheCreator macrumors member

read the thread much?

another vote for Handbrake.

10. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

D'oh! :eek:

Somehow missed the first line.

I still don't know why everyone's saying Handbrake though, it doesn't rip to Video_TS folders / VOBs as far as I know, does it? Or can I get a double slap-down of wrong in one thread? :D