Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoFarAway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I tried putting together an iMovie project last night, but the main VOB files that I got the movie clips from were huge. The DVD I'm working with has chapters that last five minutes. I have MacTheRipper and I've tried Handbrake, but from what I can see, I can only go as small as ripping chapters from the DVD. I don't want something that large piling up on my computer when I'm only using tiny clips. (Perhaps even I did my iMovie project wrong? I got a terrible surprise this morning when, after deleting the large movie files, my iMovie project no longer worked.) Is there a program that lets me rip from - say 7:13 to 8:05? Just that clip - not a chapter or the whole thing?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can use MPEG Streamclip to open VOB files and encode only between In and Out points, which can be set via moving the playhead to the desired In position and pressing "I" and Out via "O".

Also be aware that MPEG-2 is not the ideal codec for editing, even in iMovie, as MPEG-2 only saves every 15th frame, and the in-between frames are calculated. Use something like AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.