DVD ripping...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mediocrefuzz, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mediocrefuzz macrumors newbie

Does anyone know a good DVD ripping application that can also keep the subtitles?

A film for example that I tried ripping; Kill Bill vol 1. There is a fair bit of foreign language in the film and when I've ripped the DVD to use in my iTunes library, the subtitles do not appear. I've tried several methods using either WinX DVD ripper or HandBrake.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

3. mediocrefuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks i'll give it a go.

----------

It doesn't work on Lion? Any alternatives? Or is there a way to rip the DVD as usual and merge the additional subtitles I need onto the video file?

4. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

While it's not going to produce the same result as MacTheRipper or Ripit would, I'd recommend MakeMKV if you're okay with the .mkv format, since you have to pay for the other two programs. Otherwise, you can force the subtitles for your movie with Handbrake, assuming you know which track will only subtitle the foreign language bits of the film. I can't speak from experience, but I'd imagine Kill Bill would have that option. They won't be togglable, but unless you need them to be, I don't see how this would be a problem.

5. mediocrefuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. stordoff macrumors regular

Handbrake's "Foreign Audio Search" should do what you need. There's some information about it here.

7. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

+1 or try RipIt.