Dvd Ripping

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rocknroar1, Mar 3, 2008.

1. rocknroar1 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys! I'm a little new to this and just have a quick question. Is there a program to put dvd's on my ipod touch that will include all of the chapter markings so I can skip instead of using fast forward? I noticed if you buy a movie from itunes, it has the chapters so I was just wondering if there was a program that can do that too. The one I use doesn't seem to. Thanks!

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Download Handbrake. It's works fantastically well.

3. rocknroar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will Handbrake put in seperate chapters for me?

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yes, it has support for chapter markers.

5. rocknroar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Just wanted to give Handbrake some more praise. I love it! Also, if you have .avi or other types of video formats, a great converter that I use often is iSquint. Its free and I downloaded off of Apple's site. iTunes converts files as well.

7. rocknroar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a pc so I can't use iSquint but that brings me to another question...I have some wmv and other video files that itunes won't convert or let me add to my touch. Can anyone recommend a good converter for the pc for that?

8. PNW macrumors regular

9. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

Before I bought my mac I used DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD, and then Videora iPod Converter to convert the files to .mp4. Make sure in the settings for DVD Decrypter you select IFO as the mode.

10. rocknroar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Handbrake on my pc with dvd43 seems to be working great so far. No problem with my store bought dvd's since dvd43 does it's thing. I tested it with a movie and I have my chapter markers and everything. Thanks for the tip guys!

11. convertee macrumors newbie

Quick question in regards to dvd ripping:
    on the video demonstration on the apple site they change the magnification (or aspect ratio...whatever you want to call it) of the video...is this possible with ripped dvd's or is it unique/exclusive to itunes videos?

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Handbrake offers this, when the preset 'iPod touch/iPhone setting is selected.

R-Fly

13. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I decided to take the plunge and picked up a new 750GB hard drive and Apple TV so I'm in the process of digitizing my DVD collection. I have several DVD's I imported from the UK and am curious if I need to convert them to NTSC first before digitizing or if Apple TV can display a PAL file. I assume it can because the Apple TV will be connected to an LCD television but figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Also, a couple of the DVD's have commentary I'd like to preserve. I'm just starting out with Handbrake and noticed I can encode M4V files with BOTH AAC and AC3 audio streams so it's compatible with either analog or digital audio connections (nice feature by the way). But is there a way to encode two audio streams such as the movies soundtrack as well as the commentary into a single video file?

14. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

I use AnyDVD. It strips the copy protection from any DVD or protected CD. It also removes the Regional Protection Code so that any DVD worldwide can be used. Once loaded, the program sits in the background and works automatically without further user action. When you insert a CD or DVD the program does its thing and the disc plays as normal.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html