DVD > seagate goflex satellite

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Ruffian829, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I just purchased a seagate goflex satellite HD to store movies and photos on for my iPad (I travel frequently).

Almost all of my movies exist in DVD format. I don't have a TON that I want to store on the satellite but probably a fair few (maybe 50-100 eventually) and a few tv series. I have no idea how to get from the DVD to the HD.

Is there a best way to get the DVDs from the DVD onto the satellite? I read a few threads that mention things like encoding or not and such but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what they all mean. I guess I'm looking for a fairly straight forward process to put the DVDs onto the satellite and watch in iPad format. Also I have an HDMI cord to hook the iPad to the tv so I can watch on the tv- IM not sure if that will effect the way ir resolution in which I want to "rip" the DVDs?

I don't mind buying software to do this if I can get it through the app store (I have a gift card lol) otherwise a free option would be preferred (but not required if too much of a hassle).

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Using handbrake is what I would do. You would just put your DVD in, open handbrake, select the iPad preset, and click start. Then, it would create a file that you can add to iTunes and sync with your iPad.

There are a lot more features that handbrake offers, too. You would just need to experiment with them to see what all it can do.

3. Ruffian829, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. From What I've been reading I'll need something like vlc too right?
    Will handbrake do tv shows/series as well?

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will do TV shows, too. You might need to download VLC, too...I forgot about that...handbrake uses it for codecs and such.

Also, I would recommend iFlicks for tagging TV show and movies with artwork, ratings, cast, description, etc.