Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Claudia

macrumors member
Original poster
Howdy!

I was browsing all the previous posts about DVD shrinker programs and I noticed that, they do not allow for full control. For instance, my friend purchased Roxio Popcorn and it only allows two modes, either copy the full DVD or just the movie. I was wondering if there are any other compression programs out there that give the user more say in what is cut out. I would like to find a program, that lets say, would let me burn the whole DVD contents but only compress the special features so that the film quality itself will not be disturbed. On second thought, I don't even know if that is possible to begin with.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Claudia

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Claudia said:
Howdy!

I was browsing all the previous posts about DVD shrinker programs and I noticed that, they do not allow for full control. For instance, my friend purchased Roxio Popcorn and it only allows two modes, either copy the full DVD or just the movie. I was wondering if there are any other compression programs out there that give the user more say in what is cut out. I would like to find a program, that lets say, would let me burn the whole DVD contents but only compress the special features so that the film quality itself will not be disturbed. On second thought, I don't even know if that is possible to begin with.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Claudia

I doubt any program being SOLD would give you full control, because they'd get their rears sued. They probably have to limit you in some way.

Heck, even some of the free DVD copying programs have gotten in legal trouble.

You probably want to look for freeware or open source programs...

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
You can try DVD2oneX, as it gives a lot more control over what you want added to a DVD compared to Roxio Popcorn - such as subtitles, different languages, angles, etc.

It won't do exactly what you ask (different compression schemes for different chapters), but its one of the most complete programs i've found.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
I have to say one of the main reasons I went back to a Win XP PC, Probabally #2 overally(#1 being cost) was the nearly limitless stuff u can do when u comes to DVD ripping/copying, you can re-encode/trans-code/edit

Toast while a good program in it's own right is no where near being Nero's equal. "Mac the Ripper" & "DVD 2 One" + Toast are probabaly your best options unless you want get Roxio's Popcorn, but again 3 of the 4 programs i have just mentioned are not free and cost quite a bit. You have to pay for these and still not have the options you would have in something Like DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter(which by the way got updated to version 3.5.3 2day) which by the way are free.

I say if ur really into DVD copying , just put together a cheap'o AMD Sempron PC for like $400(get parts from newegg.com) w/ fast SATA HD 80Gig's are like under $60 Seagate/Hitachi both are blazing fast 7200rpm 8MB cache drives 8-8.5ms seek times. Get a fast 16x DVD+-RW drive w/ Dual Layer support. I would go NEC/Plextor/or Pioneer....LG & Lite-On are pretty good 2. That's if you don't already own a Windows PC.

I know this would cost more then say just buying the mac software but remember you now have options u will never have with Roxio's Overpriced crap. Plus you will be more statisfied with your copys/back-ups.

P.S. I remember there being a tread about what's the best DVD+-R media well it's Taiyo Yuden by far you can pick up a 50 Pack at newegg.com for $35.
Then in in order of quality it would be Taiyo Yuden , Ritek/Ridata , Verbatim and TDK.... don't buy Memorex..

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
jiggie2g said:
I have to say one of the main reasons I went back to a Win XP PC, Probabally #2 overally(#1 being cost) was the nearly limitless stuff u can do when u comes to DVD ripping/copying, you can re-encode/trans-code/edit

I agree. I have both platforms but do all of my DVD work on the PC. It is faster, the program is free and much more flexible than any offered on the Mac platform, and it works flawlessly (for the most part).

The Mac solution involves more than one program and is not nearly as flexible. With dvdshrink you can copy the whole movie (compressed or not), the menus, and all the extra material. You can omit sections or extras if you are compressing so there will be more space or you can leave it all in. You get to decide. I haven't found a workable Mac solution yet and have a feeling I won't when it is all said and done.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I started out doing DVD stuff on the PC (DVDdecrypter, Nero). I had problems with the recode and/or burn hanging every now and then. The only solution was to power off the machine (yes, I couldn't even get the task mgr up to kill the process).

I moved everything over to OS X, using MacTheRipper and DVD2oneX, although now I use Popcorn. I haven't had a single copy fail and everything plays on our standalone DVD player. Oh, and the machine never locks up, crashes or otherwise f++k up.

The XP machine now runs Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.