DVD slot problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tximacusr, Apr 10, 2013.

1. tximacusr macrumors member

I attempted to install some software using a CD, but when I push it in, it won't go all the way and it spits it out. I don't recall using the DVD player for quite a while.

When I try to use "Command-E" to eject, nothing comes out. I used the "eject" icon on the wireless keyboard, but nothing happens. I used the eject function on the DVD window, but again, nothing.

The desktop doesn't show an icon that there is something in the slot. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so its difficult to restart and press "C" since it shuts down with the imac and turns on after the imac is loading.

Can anyone tell me what's going on and is there something I can do? I have the OS 10.8.3. Thanks for your assistance.

2. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Go into disk utilities in your application folder. there is a almighty eject button in there. just choose your dvd drive and then push eject. If anything is in there, it will come out unless it's jammed in there real tight.

3. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

This what I see on disk utility and DVD Player. Any advice?

Attached Files:

4. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

5. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Well, those are messages/screens that I get from old iMac when there is no disk in the superdrive. So, must be something else. How does it feel when you try and get the disk loaded. Does it feel as if there's something else in there?

6. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

I am able to push the CD in, but at a certain point there is resistance and it spits it out. See attached pics.

I push it in further flushing the iMac side panel, but it spits it out too.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

7. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would suggest the drive is shot. Unless you have Applecare it is not worth fixing, unless you can do it yourself. Just buy a cheap external drive to use. Even Apple's own external superdrive is only $80. I can tell you from past experience, without Applecare, they will want around $300 to replace your drive.

9. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

You're probably right.
    Ironic it would give out, I hardly used it. But I do need one.
    I would change it if I knew how. I'll check on youtube to see.
    If not, I'll just buy an external one. Thanks.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

This is probably a contributing factor as to why they got rid. Any physical media drive is going to die at some stage. I was going to buy the superdrive with my new iMac, but forgot to put it in the basket. 6 months later and I still haven't needed one! I guess Apple know me better than I know myself.