DVD Storage Application for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shadowhawk, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Shadowhawk macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a Core2Duo iMac, and have come to a realization in the last few weeks. I have way too many DVDs in my collection, and I'm running out of shelf space.

I'm by no means a pirate, in fact, I don't even let friends borrow CDs cause I know they will burn copies of them. However I recently ripped all my CDs, and boxed them up so I don't have to find shelf space for 500+ CDs.

Is there a program for Mac that I can rip all my DVDs to external hard drives, and store them so I can hook my iMac to my TV and watch them just like I would off a DVD player, without any loss of quality? Also, I'd like to be able to navigate the DVDs just like I would if the disc was in a stand alone player.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

2. smt1192 macrumors regular

3. Shadowhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

I've thought of that, but I've never ripped a DVD for backup before, so I don't know how that would interact with the Apple TV. I'd like to have the Menus and special features all play like normal, instead of just streaming a Mov. or Mpeg file.

My dream program would be like a DVD Jukebox where I could browse the DVDs in a virtual catalog of sorts.

4. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I found the best setup is with an appletv also.

I rip my DVDs using Handbrake(free) and then I add the movies to itunes.
    I go to amazon.com and copy the box artwork and summary to itunes.
    This way, it looks like I'm browsing my DVD collection virtually.

The only downside is you won't get menu chapters that you can select.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

I should probably post this in a new thread, but, eh.....

I ripped a few South Park and Family Guy episodes using HandBrake and the video had a bunch of horizontal lines jumping around whenever the characters would talk or walk around, sort of like it wasn't expecting it and it was playing cool, since the background images stay the same, then WHAM, gotta move. Is this a problem I'm going to have, or did I maybe not have something set correctly.

For my other DVDs, I used MacTheRipper, and put that information into HandBrake. All were used in :apple:TV quality. Files were sort of big, and I really don't need them, just wanted them for the "neat" factor.

Now that I think about it, I had HandBrake set for one pass, not two (or whatever it's called). Would that help to prevent this?

6. Shadowhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think Handbrake sounds like the Program for me.

My ideal program would rip the DVD, and run it just like if I was putting a DVD into my DVD player. Menus, and special features all still controlled like normal. Not just streaming a video file.

I know it's a lot to ask for... :)

7. theman5725 macrumors 6502

To get rid of the horizontal lines, select "deinterlance video"

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You want MacTheRipper then.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Speaking of ripping DVDs in full glory, does anyone keep a library of these? It's not completely unrealistic. A 750GB HD probably would store about 100 DVDs on average. If you keep a library of the video_ts folders, is there any program that can provide a pleasant iTunes-like interface for them?

10. live4ever macrumors 6502a

MacTheRipper to make the DVD images then DVDPedia for organization and playback. DVDPedia has some of the most responsive and helpful developers I've ever came across.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a really nice looking app. Thanks for the ref! :)

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mac the ripper3 FTW!!!! this program will do everything that u want. :)

13. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

what you want is to rip the DVD image. that way it'll run like the dvd with menus and special features. double clicking and mounting it is like a .dmg or like having the DVD in the drive - virtually.