DVD stuck in 2008 iMac Superdrive

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Holding down the mouse button at start up doesn't eject it.

I also cannot figure out how to search old posts on this topic because when I enter search words there is no icon to click on that launches the search function.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Have you pressed the keyboard shortcut for eject? As in the eject key, and if that doesn't work go to finder and if the disk is on thensidebar, Mouse over it, and click eject. If that doesn't work, you will have to unplug it, and put either one blade of one of those orange scisors in and kinda try to roll it out, or use a paper clip.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

I also cannot figure out how to search old posts on this topic because when I enter search words there is no icon to click on that launches the search function.
Use the return key after you enter the keywords to search on.

As for the drive, does it make any sounds when you try to eject at startup? You could go in to Disk Utility and see if you can eject the disc from there.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK

I helped a friend yesterday to get a DVD out of a slot loading TV/DVD combo.

We used a folded piece of card (had to fold it again to make it slightly thicker). I inserted the card into the slot and wiggled it around while at the same time pressing the eject button. It came out after a few seconds of doing this.

Perhaps you could try the same on your iMac's Superdrive?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Don't they have the little hole that you shove a paperclip into anymore?
They haven't had that since the G3/G5 iMac. Even then all it would do it tell the drive to eject the disc. If the disc is jammed in the drive, that won't help.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
I actually reached in with a hemostat and pulled one out when the computer was off. Agree with the above tricks. Holding the eject button down during a restart is the most common.