DVD stuck in iMac SuperDrive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Blinny83, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Blinny83 macrumors member

I've tried all the tricks I could find to get this damn thing out. Terminal, holding click during startup, boot manager eject...

It sounds like the disc is physically hitting the aluminum case of the iMac.

I took it to the apple store the first time this happened and boom, ejected the first time he tried it. The thing is, my nearest apple store is a hour away, and I don't want to uninstall the SSD I put in there for warranty work if I don't have to.

Any ideas on how to get it to eject? I'll probably just buy an external after this. I just want the disc out of there. Thanks.

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

Have you tried a lolly stick or thin strip of plastic with double sided tape, when hold eject use to pull disc out carefully

3. Bfarmer38119 macrumors member

This occasionally happens to me. Today, in fact. I shut down the iMac and rebooted. The disc reappeared in finder or desktop and then I ejected it.

Hope this helps.

4. Blinny83 thread starter macrumors member

Fixed! Got it out by running my drivers license up the screen side of the disc slot while running eject command in Terminal. :)

5. bflowers macrumors 6502a

It sounds to me like your drive isn't positioned correctly with the slot in the side of the case. Could you have disturbed the placement of the drive when voiding your warranty with the SSD install?

6. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Glad to hear you got it out. A few things...

1. Did you try "eject" in disk Utilities? I find that to be a pretty powerful button where all others fail.

2. I just picked up an external USB LG superdrive for 44 bucks at Bestbuy (I'm sure you could get them cheaper online) and so far it's really good. Much faster than my internal 2008 imac superdrive and it works perfectly with iTunes. It's also much smaller than I was expecting and very portable.

Hope this helps.

7. Blinny83 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll check that drive out. Pretty dissappointed that the SuperDrive is malfunctioning, but I rarely ever burn discs anymore. I'd like to just swap it out under warranty, but I'll be damned if I'm tearing this thing apart again to take the SSD out unless it's absolutely necessary.