DVD Stuck in IMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by serega, Jan 18, 2010.

1. serega macrumors regular

Hello. I have DVD stuck in my IMac 20", and it constantly making noise, trying to move. I have notice lately I couldn't eject disk from a first try, but now it stuck for good. Is any way at least to stop computer try to eject disk? I kind of hate to open computer.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. serega thread starter macrumors regular

5. serega thread starter macrumors regular

Problem seems to be mechanical. It makes that noise like trying to eject. like something spinning and sort of click every 3 seconds. It doesn't show on desktop, I tried those tips but no difference. It feels like it stuck on the middle and still trying.

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Try this and see if it works: turn the computer off first, and then press and hold the eject key, and start the computer with the other hand. Keep the eject key pressed until the CD ejects from the drive.

7. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

I had that problem with my old iMac for awhile. I found that if I turned it off and let it completely cool down, I could get the disc out when I started it again.

That's just a temp "fix", though. I took it apart and bent the outside casing of the CD drive away from the center to fix the problem. When I was done, you had to catch the CD when it spit it out.

8. serega thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. It did not help either. I will research how to disassemble IMac and try to fix it. A funny thing is that I wanted to buy a new IMac and told my wife that she will get this one. Guess what, she seen what happened and said no thanks..

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

Applecare is SO cheap these days on eBay (even for a shipped boxed version). Madness to spend so much on an iMac and not have a warranty past a year if you ask me... :( I bought my boxed copy for $75 shipped.

10. serega thread starter macrumors regular

Too late for me, my comp is around 2 years old. I will get it with next Mac.

11. serega thread starter macrumors regular

I found guides to change dvd drive but now I having a problem to find one on line. I assumed it sata drive (IMac purchased november 2007) and google search doesn't give me much hope. Can anybody give me suggestion where I can find one please?

12. serega thread starter macrumors regular

13. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Thank you so much for this information. I just had a stuck dvd and used your link. I thought I was going to have to take it to the store. :D

14. macryan1 macrumors member

My 2007 2.4 20" iMac did the same thing.

I took it to an Apple repair shop and they removed the DVD and pronounced the drive dead. Well not dead from the point of view of reading the disc, but the eject mechanism failed.

Rather than replace the drive I just got an external from MacSales for $69.

Fully supported and works fine.

~B