DVD Studio PRO doesn't support AVI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimi94941, Nov 6, 2010.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

Hey. I just bought Final Cut PRO and I'm using DVD Studio PRO. I wanted to make some good DVD for my cousins wedding but the files are .AVI and I can't put them in. I can't believe that such a expensive program doesn't support this format. So, my question is, can I put AVI files on DVD Studio PRO including subtitles?

Please answer me, I just bought MBP and this software, and I am dissapointed in battery life, and now I'm also dissapointed with this software.

Oh and little a side question; if I carbonate battery, does that make battery life longer?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You bought professional software and do expect it to use a non-professional format like .avi, which uses a wide variety of codecs to encode its video?

As you paid for the software, you also paid for the manuals, though they are only coming in digital form now. They will tell you what you need to do to prepare footage for DVDSP.

Either use Compressor and one of its presets (if Compressor supports .avi files with MPEG-4 codecs like Divx or Xvid) or use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the footage to ..mov files using the ProRes codec for video, and Uncompressed for audio, and then use Compressor.

After that you can simply drag the files into DVDSP and use them, even formatting the DVD will not take long, as the footage comes out of Compressor using the right codecs for video and audio.

Btw, I'm sorry if I sound harsh to you, but you paid 900 € for a piece of software, which is very well documented and didn't even take a look at its format/container abilities. I can't understand that, though that may be due to me working in that media production field and having to do with it.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

source of .AVI files?

And I agree with spinnerlys 110%.