Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
I am having problems burning multiple copies of my DVD. I burned two copies that worked fine, and then the three that followed didn't work. I got the "formatting successful" message, but the discs wouln't play. I tried two different brands in two different players.

I had this problem before, and someone mentioned that I should try clearing out the old files and re-formatting the disc. I can't find that option now on the toolbar. I thought there was an "advanced" tab where I did it last time, but now I can't find it. Any suggestions?

I've already cleaned out all the unnecessary assets, and re-saved. Any other tips would be great! Thanks!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
DrRock said:
I am having problems burning multiple copies of my DVD. I burned two copies that worked fine, and then the three that followed didn't work. I got the "formatting successful" message, but the discs wouln't play. I tried two different brands in two different players.

I had this problem before, and someone mentioned that I should try clearing out the old files and re-formatting the disc. I can't find that option now on the toolbar. I thought there was an "advanced" tab where I did it last time, but now I can't find it. Any suggestions?

I've already cleaned out all the unnecessary assets, and re-saved. Any other tips would be great! Thanks!

hi Drrock,

well, the first thing is to use good brand media...plenty of posts on apple's boards about that topic. using a cheaper brand would definitely cause issues. another thing is burn speed. i never burn higher than 1xDVD speed. I never have to format the dvds either. i created a build and then use Toast to burn my copies. I've never had an issue with playability using this method.

unfortunately, i find SP's burning features suck. using toast also allows me to work on other SP projects while burning.

If I have additional files on the DVD like pictures or word/excel documents, I create a build and then format an image to my harddrive....then i use toast to copy that .img file.

let me know if you need anything else.

cheers,
keebler

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
I've had problems with burning multiple copies out of DVD Studio Pro before as well.

Nowadays, once I've finished a project I export the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders out of the application using Build and then burn the disc using Toast. Never had any problems doing it this way. Plus if you need to ever view the project again before burning a DVD, you can simply use DVD Player, and open the VIDEO_TS folder to check the media.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

Thanks for the tips. I don't have Toast, but can I still do the build and then burn the disc from a different program? Something that comes with OSX maybe?

Edit: After looking further into my manual I tried to de-select "lossless linking" before building & formatting. It worked so far for one disc, but maybe it's just because I shut down overnight and re-built?

If I just burn one at a time, and delete existing TS files, do you think that will work?

Edit:
Never mind, the next disc I tried doesn't wok either. The weird thing is that I can see on the disc where the information is burned, yet it won't play. Also, where can I select burn speed? I know that sometimes the window pops up to allow me to choose, but it hasn't on either of the last two discs. It's very strange to me that there are no "burn" options in the DVD SP preference tab. Seems like that would be a pretty important preference. Plus, I think 8x is the slowest I can go.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
bigbossbmb said:
you can use disk utility to burn the .img file from DVDSP

Ok, that helps. So, do I have to save the program file as an .img file from the program? Or do I just burn the mpeg I exported edited timeline? And does it allow me to include the menu I designed?

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
when you go to "Build/Format" on the bottom section of the "General" tab, you will see "Destination"...just select "Hard Drive" from the pulldown and it will create the exact image file as if it were burning a dvd (this includes everything, ie menus, transitions, etc).

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
bigbossbmb said:
you can use disk utility to burn the .img file from DVDSP
This is also a good storage back up plan for all your important dvd projects. Just make a .dmg folder on an external HD for future reference.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

So when I want to burn the disc, do I just create a new burn folder? How do I ensure it won't just burn a data disc?

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

"Burn failed. Unable to calibrate laser power level for this media."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is there a technical explanation why the use of a disk image should provide better results than repeated formatting of a pre-built project? I can't see an apparent reason why one should result in higher-yield production than the other.

- Martin

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
DrRock said:
"Burn failed. Unable to calibrate laser power level for this media."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't know what that error is either.

AviationFan said:
Is there a technical explanation why the use of a disk image should provide better results than repeated formatting of a pre-built project? I can't see an apparent reason why one should result in higher-yield production than the other.

It is more for convenience. You do not need to build and format each time you want to burn. Also, you can mount the image in the finder and open DVD Player to check that everything was made correctly. You are also sure that all discs burned from that file will come out the same.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
^

I have had better luck when I delete the existing TS, but when I try to do multiple copies, I am not given the option to do so. It seems like when I shut down the program and restart or shut down, I have better luck, though not always.

I even tried changing an attribute of the DVD, saving it, changing it back under a diffferent name, and it still wouldn't work. Maybe I am simply having issues with my burner. I'll have to look into that. Doesn't Disk Utility have some sort of function to purge old files, and do a disk cleanup kind of thing to increase performance? I am used to PCs, and am not aware of if Mac has a similar feature.

Edit: Creating a disc image in DVDSP and burning in Disk Ultility has ended up working well. The recomendation to burn at the slowest speed helped. I strongly advise to do so, by clickig the advanced options arrow. One thing I couldn't do was view the disc image in DVD player, as was suggested. I was able to do a dry run of the burn though to test it before wasting anymore discs. I also talked to tech support today because I was trying to burn a disk image copied from another DVD and burn it in Disk Utility. They explained that it might not work, because of copy protection. This disc was my own, created on another Mac, but it still wouldn't burn. It said it burned successfully, but it only played in the Mac, not on another player.

Toast was suggested, as the tech explained that DU was not really designed for copying discs. With the right settings though, it seems to be working fine for projects I create.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
bigbossbmb said:
It is more for convenience. You do not need to build and format each time you want to burn. Also, you can mount the image in the finder and open DVD Player to check that everything was made correctly. You are also sure that all discs burned from that file will come out the same.
I thought that's what using the "Format" option of DVD Studio did already (build once, format as many times as you want), as opposed to using "Burn" which I believe does both build and format. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

- Martin

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I thought that's what using the "Format" option of DVD Studio did already (build once, format as many times as you want), as opposed to using "Burn" which I believe does both build and format. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

No, you're not misunderstanding. That's exactly how it works. The "Burn" command is only a write-once deal, as DVDSP will trash the build it makes after burning the disc. The "Build/Format" command makes the build (which is retained for later use) and then formats (burns) to disc. And then "Format," of course, burns a disc from an existing build.

[rant]
One thing I wish Apple would address with DVDSP is adding the ability to burn multiple copies with the "Format" command. I know there's other ways around this (Toast, Disk Utility, etc.), but it shouldn't really have to be that way. Also, you should be able to adjust the stinking burn speed. Come on, Apple. This app hasn't gotten any love since FCS1!
[/rant]

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
You can also build a project than burn the VIDEO_TS folder in toast using the video DVD VIDEO_TS burn option. Handy. I've known some people who used that to crunch their project to fit it onto a single layer DVD, as DVDSP is really clunky for trying to do that.

I have a lot of problems with DVDSP; I'm hoping they overhaul it completely and add Blu-ray for the next release.

Krio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2009
Quick ?
I have always used the "creat .img file" and then burn all my dvd's using the disk utility. However, if I have 100+ disks to burn I am unable to throw the .img file on an external hdd to throw on another computer to help speed things up. Is there any way around this?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
... It said it burned successfully, but it only played in the Mac, not on another player.

Did that player work with previous discs that you have created? Not all DVD players can play homemade DVDs.

..the tech explained that DU was not really designed for copying discs.

Well, given that it is part of the DU functions, I'd have to say the tech is wrong.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Quick ?
I have always used the "creat .img file" and then burn all my dvd's using the disk utility. However, if I have 100+ disks to burn I am unable to throw the .img file on an external hdd to throw on another computer to help speed things up. Is there any way around this?

That .img file is a single file and should be easily copied between computers as ofter as you'd like. You'll have to explain your method of moving it and any errors you are getting.

Krio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2009
That .img file is a single file and should be easily copied between computers as ofter as you'd like. You'll have to explain your method of moving it and any errors you are getting.

I create the dvd in idvd and export it as a .img file rather than "burn to disk" or video/audio ts folders. I then try any and all methods to put it on either my 8 gig flash drive or external hard drive and when its just about done copying the image it gives me an error stating this file cannot be moved.:confused:
I even burned the file to a dvd and tried throwing it on another computer and when it is 90+% done it says it cannot be copied. It acts like its password protected from transferring, but cannot find any settings in idvd.

peekeeboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Formatting DVD

I am having problems burning a DVD. I have imported the assets created in Compressor, checked it out in simulator, but when trying to burn a disk, I get a message saying formattin failed, with a message in the log saying that there is a compiler file error. Please can anyone advise?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.