DVD Studio Pro picture quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lydas2000, Jun 14, 2007.

1. lydas2000 macrumors newbie

I am having issues with a video that has several logos on white tiles moving right to left on screen. They all appear extremely pixelated. As if they had no anti-aliasing. The source video is uncompressed and when I open it in Quicktime, the logos loook perfect as they move.

I assume this is an issue with the embeded encoder in DSP4. I am producing a SD DVD and realize that the uncompressed file needs to be encoded to MPEG-2 format. The rest of the video on the DVD is fine, but the jagged logos are unacceptable. In the preferences for the encoder, I've chosen every option from One Pass CBR to Two Pass VBR and then import the video asset. No change.

My source video is an anamporphic 4:3 720x480. It's design to stretch horizontally to fill a widescreen TV, but even if I don't stretch the picture on the TV, the logos still look like crap.

Any suggestion? Can Compressor do anything? I don't relly know how to use it.

2. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

If your logos are small in size, anyway you compress them is going to make them look pixelated. Going from super clean uncompressed to compressed can make graphics look pretty bad, expecially if they are small, fine lined graphics like logos.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As faustfire said, logos/graphics and text don't handle MPEG-2 compression and the interlacing of SD video very well. You could try making a more compression/TV friendly version of the logos, re-cutting it to minimize logo movement, and/or dropping a little bit a gaussian blur on it in FCP to help hide/smooth the rough edges.

Lethal

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It's all in the compression. DVDSP doesn't do a very good job, obviously. Compressor does okay, but you have to pay a bajillion dollars to get professional-looking video from a DVD.

How you handle this is related to how long your video is. Try compressing it with Compressor at something high like 7.5 or 8 Mbps, using a GOP structure with only I and P frames. If it even fits on your DVD, it should look close(r) to the original.

6. lydas2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ppc_michael. I will try that in the morning and let you know if it help.