DVD studio pro play all button?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bennetsaysargh, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

First question, is why doesn't this exist? second, I want a work around.

Has anyone been able to do this without scripting? I can duplicate all of the tracks, but that's twice the encoding.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    -Ryan

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I'm not sure what you are asking, you want a button to just magically knows all the tracks on your DVD and play them in your desired order automatically? DVDSP is a great piece of software, but it can not read your mind. You will have to use scripting, or the end jump function on the individual track settings.

This is the scenario:

1. You have 4 tracks that you want to play back to back
    2. Take the first track and direct the end jump to the second track, take the sencond track and have it end jump to the third, etc,.
    3. Create a button that plays the first track (your PLAY ALL button), now when it reaches the end of each track it will automatically jump to the next, effectively playing all the tracks.

Hope this helps.

3. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

I guess I wasn't clear enough.
    I want them to be able to play on their own selection from the menu, but I also want to play all feature.
    Thanks.

4. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Are you thinking of feature film DVD's where you have a Menu with individual scenes and a 'main movie' or 'play movie' button? If so, then you have to make Chapter Markers in your timeline and then point your menu buttons to these markers. To perform a 'Play All', just point that button to the first Chapter Marker. This is assuming you have all your video lined up in one track as opposed to several tracks.

5. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

No, I am working on my portfolio, and everything is in different tracks.

6. theWholeTruth macrumors member

OK. Say you have 10 video clips. Put each clip into their own track and in your Menu, have 10 buttons that point to each individual track. Then for your 11th track, assemble ALL of your 10 video clips into whatever order you want. On your Menu, have a 'Play All' button that points to that track. There may be a different way to achieve this, but that would be how I do it; I'm no expert though.

You can read the manual for more in depth info.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You could always drop everything into a single FCP timeline and export it w/chapter markers.

Slighty OT, but how long is your portfolio? In my experience the last thing anyone wants is to watch a long (more than 3-4min.) demo reel.

Lethal

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

bennetsaysargh,

to answer your first question: DVD Studio Pro cannot possibly know what assets you may want to play in what order. Just play all of them in the order they were imported rarely makes sense.

As for your second question, if the individual pieces have been imported into separate tracks, live4ever's answer is the perfect solution (i.e. create stories). Look for the section named "Working with Stories" in chapter 11 ("Creating and Editing Tracks") of the DVD Studio Pro manual for all the details.

- Martin

9. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I do this with scripts.

Make your menu, as normal, with all your buttons for playing each scene individually.

Then create a play all button. It directs to a small script that sets a GPRM register to 1, and then jumps to your first video.

At the end of each of your individual videos, set it to jump to a small script (one for each video) that evaluates the GPRM. If it's set to one (playall was selected), jump to the next video. Otherwise (playall not selected), jump back to the menu.

You should also have a prescript for your menu that always sets the GPRM back to 0, so that it's not stuck on "play all" after you've chosen it once.

10. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Since typing the instructions here is out of the question, check this out. :cool:

11. Keebler macrumors 68030

ben ben ben....

the others have pointed you in your way, but honestly..this is something basic and covered in the manual and tutorials.....

12. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I thought RTFM might be a little harsh. hehe. :D