dvd studio pro, quicktime file not playing as background menu. 48 hours to deadline!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jonnyk1, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jonnyk1 macrumors newbie

hi,
    I am just getting to grips with dvd studio & after thousands of hours of work on my film i am baffled by this last hurdle.
    the quicktime movie file i have dropped in for my main menu seems to be fine but then in the simulator and when i burn the disc it is a matte grey screen?? the audio that accomponies the file still plays and the buttons created within dvdsp are there and work fine.
    its a cool little menu animation in danger of being lost and replaced by a still image unless someone has some wisdom!!!
    many thanks

2. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I've had that happen a few times, and it took a while to figure out what was wrong.

First off, though, I'd advise heavily against dropping a quicktime movie into a menu - use Compressor instead (that may be part of your problem)

As for the cause of your problem...DVD Studio Pro seems to have problems every now and then if you try and use a video element that has the same name as a previously used element (ie: you decided you wanted to make changes to your video or your menu and saved it with the exact same name, thinking DVDSP would just re-link to it...and it did...but with the results you are seeing).

Through trial and error, the problem is usually fixed by deleting any MPEG and PAR folders/files created as a result of your project (do this without DVDSP running). Over 50% of the time the gray screen issue would be fixed upon restarting DVDSP (and it creating new MPEG and PAR files).

Unfortunately the rest of the time you have to re-compress your video file, and do so with a different name, and then add that file to your menu, timeline, etc.

As I said, I would highly recommend using Compressor instead of DVDSP to compress/encode your video (and a menu item should be very fast), as it A) gives you more control over the quality, B) usually takes less time and C) can head off a host of gliches.