dvd studio pro, shrink media to fit DVD-5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ZballZ, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

I was working on a regular DVD for a client, and had everything set up nicely in DVDSP 4.0. In the last minute they decide they wanted an extra video clip on the dvd; which made my material (with the settings I had compressed) just about 100 MB to large to fit on a DVD-5 ... is there really no way, to make DVDSP auto-shrink everything (I know recompression is necesarry) to fit a DVD?

Well, I couldn't find any way of doing this within DVDSP, so I just burnt it as an image, and imported the image in Toast Titanium, which could then shrink everything and make it fit ...

This has now resulted in a DVD with no sound!!? (it worked fine in my mac, but for some reason in some players it will not play sound)

I dont really trust Toast with the compression in these matters, so how would one go about shrinking the material? Is there really no way to do this in DVD studio pro??

And why would my client not get any sound? I thought the DVD was completely standardized thru all platforms...?

any help appreciated,
    zballz.

2. itoboi macrumors newbie

I might be able to help if I had more information.

What type of files are you using when you were using Toast?
    Usually audio is a separate file from the video when your using DVDSP.
    Check to make sure you have that file after you re-compress.

If you have DVDSP, you should have Apple Compressor?
    If you do, you can just adjust the bitrate and make the file size fit for DVD.

3. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for the reply, heres a little more detail of the process:

The thing is, that it is about 20-25 video clips. So recompressing everything again manually will take a lot of time.

I had ProRes files, which I all recompressed to mpeg2 (m2v and m2a) via Compressor. Imported these in DVDSP, and made sure that all video-audio tracks were linked up properly. My simulation in DVDSP played correctly - with sound. I had set the bitrate for all these clips, to match a DVD-5. That's when the client wanted to add an extra videoclip, and a quite large one as well, I think about 12 minutes. This pushed the size of my project to around 4,9GB, and thus too large for a DVD-5.

This made me wonder if there simply wasn't an automated feature in DVDSP to shrink/recompress everyhing down to DVD-5 size. I couldn't find any way of doing this with DVDSP, so I burnt it as a disc-image. This image also played correctly with sound, when I mounted it.

Knowing that Toast Titanium has a "shrink to fit media"-feature, I simply imported the whole disc-image in Toast, shrunk to fit (which obviously is a recompression), and burned the DVD.

Out comes a DVD with no sound??

4. itoboi, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

itoboi macrumors newbie

You're losing your audio when you go to toast. Go to this site and install the Perian codec. This might help but I recommend, if you have time, to start over.

Just do what you did before and use Compressor with the ProRes files and your new clip.

5. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I guess this is the way - starting over :)

So you agree that there is no "shrink to fit" kind-of-setting in DVDSP?

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

There is not - though you can modify your encoding settings before you start creating your DVD in an effort to have the footage take less space. I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "burn as image," but what I used to do was use the BUILD function to get a VIDEO_TS folder out, then use Toast to burn a DVD using the "From VIDEO_TS" option, with shrink-to-fit compression, and that worked.

Be advised that Toast's re-encoding is not necessarily going to be the best quality re-encoding. DVD 2 One X is another option.

The best option would be to encode in compressor to the DVD format, with the bitrate tweaked to ensure that you can fit it on the disc, then simply burn from DVD studio then. As a bonus, you won't need to encode for that build run. But that requires knowing compressor, which can be a frustrating app, to say the least.

7. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this is what I did, build the DVD to TS_folders and burned-to-fit from Toast. I am quite comfortable with compressor - I was just looking for a quick fix ... no luck I guess. I will start over :)

8. shorafix macrumors member

Dual layer?

I was just wondering, why you won't use dual layer DVD 9 for your project? Are you going to produce a high volume of DVDs? Then check prices of producing DVD 9 over DVD 5. If you just need less than a dozens of copies, DVD+/-R DL are available on an affordable price. I didn't recover any problems with regards to compatibility. However, my experience is limited to about 5-6 different commercial players including two Blu-ray players from Sony and Samsung for test reasons.

P.S. You can even set your individual breakpoint in DVD-Studio Pro, avoiding any annoying transition. Look here.