DVD to Apple TV. How to keep the same video quality?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thiagos, May 9, 2008.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Hello,

I just bought DVDRemaster Pro. My question is, I want to transfer my DVD library to Apple TV (either to H.264 or MPEG4). Even though I know the procedure, I am not sure how to keep the same or near same quality as the DVD.
    What bitrate should I keep it under? I have a 2TB Hard Drive, so I could spare up to 3.5 GB for each movie.

If it takes more than just the bitrate, let me know the steps I should follow to have it near or same as DVD quality. If you are knowledgeable with HandBrake, I got HandBrake as well.

Please only answer to this question if you are knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Just use the Handbreak setting for AppleTV and do 2nd pass encoding. This will give you great results. The default bitrate for that is 2500.

Remember you are taking a compressed video and re-compressing it - just like with audio there will always be some loss of quality. It works well though - I work as a graphic designer for video company and I am fairly picky on quality - and its more than acceptable for me.

If your curious about the bitrate used on a DVD you can get that info here: http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Thanks for the calculator, that was VERY helpful. Well the reason why I want to keep the same video quality is because I am thinking of the near future. I don't want to have pixelated video for the new TVs to come. Specially after transferring my entire DVD sets.
    I mainly use blu-rays now and I can't stand to watch movies on DVD anymore. I wouldn't want my movies to look worse than DVD.

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

To be clear, the *best* HB will do is almost the same as DVD quality. It cannot make something out of nothing.

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Going between two lossy formats is never going to be a good idea if you want identical quality (MPEG2 -> MPEG4).

As dynaflash said, the best you can hope for is pretty darn close while taking up less space on your hard drive.

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

The only thing I can add to this discussion is my impression about 2 pass encoding. I did that a couple of times right after I started using Handbrake but it was taking so long, I decided to try single pass. Although I used a bitrate of 2500, I wasn’t able to see any discernable difference between 2 pass and 1 pass. Thus, I now do 1 pass exclusively.